Air Filter

Guest Elliot Poston

If you don't mind a hole it's not a problem. The filter will get wet in the rain but that probably doesn't matter and if you wanted a carb or engine swap later there'd be a redundant hole. If you bonnet is hinged. The hole might need to be bigger to clear the filter as it swings open. 

Hi Elliot

I used to have a hole in my old bonnet ( my car has a 2.1 pinto with a twin choke webber carb) and I had a K & N filter fitted which was ok, but when I got my new bonnet with louvre vents pressed in it meant I would have had to cut hole where Louvres were for filter so I manufactured a mild steel airbox to fit on carb, using original filter mounting holes I then fed a ducted hose from this down into nosecone, and fitted a performance cone filter to this in nose cone, result better running and cosmetic finish

Edited by Pintogogo
  • Like 1

Hi Elliot,

If you go to Nick and Neil's forum this topic has been covered before a few months ago for us.  I have a single webber 32/36 on a pinto 2 litre and have the same problem, you can remove the spacing washer between the carb and the manifold that will save you 10mm.  I obtained aRedline AFB340 filter it was the lowest profile I could find, and that does fit, but still touches the bonnet slightly.  I asked the question why no one made a lower profile one and they said any lower would starve the engine of air.

filter.JPG

• 1 month later...