Super Spec handbrake cable

geordie40

Anyone know what sort of handbrake cable fits a super spec, standard Sierra?

It seems that one side of the rear brakes don't work. The handbrake cable works, I can see the cable pulling the lever on the affected side  but doesn't stop the wheel turning and neither does the footbrake yet it passed MOT and the car will hold on a hill.

I was changing wheel bearing and noticed the wear on the shoes looked "wrong"  see photos 1st pic new shoes 2nd old shoes, so I fitted new ones but still not holding, the brake cylinder looks fine and the auto adjuster is free moving.

Only checked one side as no garage and it started peeing down!!

IMG_20191103_165459.jpg

IMG_20191103_165543.jpg

Edited by geordie40

I have always assumed it was a standard Sierra one as we definitely use a Sierra handbrake lever and Sierra brakes.  

But from what you are saying it has nothing to do with the cable.  Your problem seems to be seized cylinders.   AndyW has recently experienced the identical symptoms so I'll leave it to him to talk you through it.

What was the serial number of your new pads ?

Sierra drum brakes require the movement of the hand brake to rachet up the adjuster.

If the drums just slid off then the handbrake was not working properly.

The lever that the cable attaches to should pivot freely on the pusher bar between the shoes, check this first.

Then the rachet needs the stainless steel pawl to click it to rachet the adjuster sometimes these are bent.

I have an early haynes manual to the very first sierras which still gave a fair bit of info rather than the new ones which just tell you to get a service exchange everything.

I can scan the rear brake bits if this helps.

Ian

Thanks for info Ian, the adjuster seemed to operate as when i put drums back on and pressed the brake pedal I heard the ratchet movement work.

Im getting a local garage to look over it as now weather has turned I dont have anywhere undercover to work on it and im fed up working in the rain!!

Im going to give them the shoes and new cylinders and let them thoroughly check everything