Windscreen

zhap135

Hello anyone, I'm prepping my car for IVA - an old S7

I'm trying to replace a windscreen - the old toughened one got broke. I want to put laminate in, and have found a supplier, but I want to know about stamps. The stamp that the IVA mentions is E43 (or is as I understand the manual. The stamp the supplier will put on is EN14449/3/SG. Does anyone know whether that is equivalent, and acceptable for IVA?

I know MK do a screen kit for about £500, but sourcing the laminate is about a 10th of the price.

Well our friend Wiki tells me that it could mean either - B83 1967 is safety glass in land vehicles. The /2 might signify which - I'll have to do some more digging. If its the original from the S7 it's probably toughened - not sure that they did laminate. That might get me through the IVA - I'll have to check. Can always put my own lam in later.

How much were you wanting, and are you able to post?

I went through great lengths to go through IVA properly with a screen, and it's perfectly doable. Like you say, the important part is supposed to be the marking of the screen with an E marking, in particular the roman numerals to the edge of the circle denote whether the screen is toughened (I) or laminated (II or III).

9s_PDYOhh4omJk3TrDa0IWxLw0Rj6EtA1X-hlhUW

Cost around £100 for the screen from a template I had to send to the chap (laminated).

I do wonder whether the IVA guy even checked it, to be honest, I *think* he did but I wonder whether it was close inspection or just a glance for an E mark and that was it :)

23 hours ago, nelmo said:

You don't need a screen on for IVA, just leave it off. If you have a screen, you'll have to have working 2 speed wipers, demisting vents - the works. And they'll check all that for sharp edges. 

Thanks, that did occur to me. The manual says that if fixings are obvious it will be trated as if the screen is missing, although it didn't define fixings. I got the car as a part complete a while back, and the cuttle ha holes for the brackets, and for the demisters and wipers. apart from looking a mess, I was worried that the inspectors would simply say the screen is missing. HAve you heard of that happening?

13 hours ago, brumster said:

I went through great lengths to go through IVA properly with a screen, and it's perfectly doable. Like you say, the important part is supposed to be the marking of the screen with an E marking, in particular the roman numerals to the edge of the circle denote whether the screen is toughened (I) or laminated (II or III).

9s_PDYOhh4omJk3TrDa0IWxLw0Rj6EtA1X-hlhUW

Cost around £100 for the screen from a template I had to send to the chap (laminated).

I do wonder whether the IVA guy even checked it, to be honest, I *think* he did but I wonder whether it was close inspection or just a glance for an E mark and that was it :)

LOL, yeah, I could just wing it, but my luck dictates that I'd get the thorough chap!😂 I see that you have the proper E mark, and not just a BS. Do you remember your supplier?