Noise, speed and mobile phone cameras.

Mrbarry

Has anyone seen the new wave of cameras on the streets? Went live this month. 

1; mobile phone auto detection cameras:

Software monitored cameras that look for drivers using a handset and automatically issue a NIP to the driver/keeper of the vehicle. A copy of the footage is also sent to the courts as evidence. 
I agree with these cameras if I’m honest. 

2; noise cameras:

There are hundreds of cameras fitted with noise monitors that can identify individual cars and their Db levels, again auto NIP etc. 
Seems a bit over the top. 

3; Loads of average cameras:

Same old same old. These ones are so tiny you would do well to see them. And they are popping up everywhere lately. 
The biggest issue here being the instant ban for doing hardly anything over the speed limit. Big brother is on overdrive!

Certainly with you on the 1st one. The 2nd shouldn't be a problem to most folk, as I understand the cameras or triggered over 74dB, which is quite loud. They'll be located in populated areas where constant noise is a public health issue for residents. I work on warehousing projects, and we require all our machinery to emit less than 75 when operated normally. This is for both planning permissions (read residents concerns), and H&S of our work force.

I'm interested to hear more on your 3rd point - hadn't heard of shift towards zero tolerance. Got any more details or a link?

74db is barely more than a whisper. Our cars are all in trouble then. As for my motorbike with Yoshimura R77 exhaust 🤣🤣🤣

No links no, I heard that on the radio this afternoon. It’s not zero but something like 10% over plus 5mph is a ban. So 38 in a 30 then. Unsure how accurate that is. 

14 minutes ago, Mrbarry said:

74db is barely more than a whisper. Our cars are all in trouble then. As for my motorbike with Yoshimura R77 exhaust 🤣🤣🤣

No links no, I heard that on the radio this afternoon. It’s not zero but something like 10% over plus 5mph is a ban. So 38 in a 30 then. Unsure how accurate that is. 

Yeah, I suppose so. Best find out where they are then so I know when to tiptoe😆

You can tune into an exhaust note (any frequency) and if you know the distance calculate the exact dB at source. Distance would be easy in this day and age. Sound decays at an exact rate in free air over distance. I would assume 74db would be at the sensor tho because it’s very low 

You must use your judgement to assess exhaust noise:

• during the emissions test for the vehicle
  • rev the engine to around 2,500rpm or half the maximum engine speed if this is lower on vehicles not subject to an emissions test

Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level you’d expect from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

So pretty subjective I'd say.

We have noise tests to adhere to when competing and these generally state 100dB ~ 4500rpm, half a metre away from the exhaust tip (45 degrees). I don't know how sound dissipates with distance, obviously it does, so I guess that 74dB is a kind of pointless number without the context of distance being applied.

"What did Europe ever do for us" etc etc :D <joking, before you all get on your Brexit high horse!>

Like to see somebody challenge this in court, noisy exhausts are a nuisance but it needs to be specifically legislated 

Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level you’d expect from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

Is too wishy washy for me

5 hours ago, phaeton said:

Like to see somebody challenge this in court, noisy exhausts are a nuisance but it needs to be specifically legislated 

Is too wishy washy for me

I trust your wash board is suitably attenuated !!!