Electronic distributor

Matt shep

Just trying to upgrade from the points distributor to an electronic distributor but having problems. I brought an accu sparks distribution for an 2.0l pinto engine out of a ford seirra. But will not send a spark to the sparks plugs. I though the distributor was faulty so they sent me just the electronic  kit but having the same problem. I have wired the distributor like the handbook says.

Red wire to the ballast resistor 12v and the black wire to the negative side of the ford coil

What can the problem be?

Do I need a new coil to take the electronic distributor ?

Any help will be greatful

Fitted the same earlier this year also to a pinto. 

my first attempt I was sure I had it right but got the polarity wrong on the coil and burnt out the circuit on the electronic points. 

im no expert but doesn’t the ballast wire lower the voltage during start up? My accu spark distributor required 12v. I think I just took that from the positive side of the coil. I’ll check later today for you. 

Just has a quick look. The new electronic distributor has a single connector with two wires. Red which goes to the positive side of the coil and black to the negative side. I don’t they specifically have to go to the coil, it’s just those are nearest 12v and negative earth. 

there wàs an old wire for the old distributor which is now redundant. 

have you done any tests? Multimeter on the positive side of the coil to make sure you have 12v? 
double checked the coil is wired up the right way round? I didn’t! 

Are the spark plugs firing at all or at just the wrong times? You can check this by removing them from the engine and hold them against an earth to see if they spark.

sorry if I’m teaching you to suck eggs.  Pretty novice myself 

Got the car started today had to move the distributor abit futter round and I think the engine was very gas up. But started in the end just need to use timming light now what degree have you set yours. I know ford sierra is set at 8 degrees but what are people run at on these pinto engine