Gear selection issue

Burney

After removing my cars 2ltr pinto engine to replace the clutch, following reinstallation I have been unable to select 5th gear.

It sort of goes in loosly but just pops out of gear seconds later.

You can hold it in 5th gear and it drives but as soon as you let go it pops out again.

Is this a problem with the gear selector? Or have I done something wrong installing the new clutch?

Hi Burney,

It could be a number of things but before saying the most expensive solution. Try this first loosen gear box mount and wiggle it around then tighten, I have heard this sometimes resolves the issue. Failing that take the gear lever out and check the the saddle (black or white plastic) at the end of the lever is not worn, straight edges etc. If the gear lever is loose most of the time this could be an issue. 

I have also heard old oil/low oil can cause this problem.

Also quick thought has the lever been adjusted to quick shift, if not the right length it will pop out.

With some careful clutch control and a downhill slope you can manually select 5th with the lever off with a big screwdriver and drive off, if it still pops out after this I would suggest the box needs some new internal parts.

Thanks for your thoughts

I havent had the car long so wanted to check oil level do you know where the filler cap is?

I seem to remember the gearbox mount had slotted holes fore alignment so prehaps its something to do with that will have a look

👍

I presume you removed the lever to remove the box to get to the clutch, also that it was okay before you stripped it down, if so make sure you've put it all back together correctly, once did a main input shaft bearing on a MK3 Cortina, 2 days later I went from 2nd to 3rd & the lever came off in my hand. It was pitch black up a country lane & after waddling the lever around in the hole the only gear I could get was reverse, so I reversed the car 3 miles back to my then girlfriends house. Make sure the lever is not fouling anything even something simple like the gaiter can stop it being fully engaged.

You assume correctly yes I had to draw the box forward to access clutch so I removed gear stick.

It all worked fine before I took it to bits and I think it unusual to wear out 5th gear. Normally you would expect 2nd or 3rd to go first so hopefully something daft with selector

10 minutes ago, alantoon said:

The most likely thing is the gear lever is close to the bodywork on the gear cutout and engine movement is pushing the lever,  it may need  a bit of cutting out to give a bit more clearance.

I think so Alan or a small alignment issue. Are you still going out tomorrow? Holiday in at 10am?