R1 carbs on 2L Pinto

Guest nortonnut

Guest nortonnut

I want to fit Yamaha R1 carbs onto my 2L Pinto but I need to know more  about the practicalities.

So, I'm looking for someone who lives in the South and has done this mod and still has the car.

I would like to visit and see the installation and ask a few questions. Hoping someone out there can help

me because 30 mins spent with someone who has done it could save me weeks of research.

Thanks. Mick.

P.S. In the process of joining the club but having problems doing it.

I’m not down south but have them on my pinto. Fantastic setup run very well and sound great. I’ve you want to save a lot of time and hassle there is a very well known company local to me called bogg brothers they have been doing these for years and will sell you a complete kit ready to bolt on. Alternatively you could just purchase the inlet manifold from them or carbs pre jetted etc. 

Cheers Mike. 

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the contact and info. Do Bogg Brothers have a website. I am using the 2B during the winter (got too old for using the motorbike) so am not doing the mod till the spring at the earliest. Sometimes I travel up to the Manchester area so If you are happy to give me some contact details then if I come up before then I could contact you and see if you are free for me to visit you.

Don't be confused by change in user name and details. I have now joined RHocaR and that is the reason.

Cheers. Mick.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:37 AM, cb750 said:

There are a few reasons why I am going down the R1 route

A lot of across the frame 4's do not have equal spacing between the carbs. There are a few companies that manufacture Inlet Manifolds with the correct spacing plus (importantly) the correct angle for R1 carbs. So, plenty of choice.

Once you find your way round the carbs they are fairly easy to setup. A crosshead and blade screwdriver, a pair of vacuum gauges, and some small drill bits, are all you need and I already have them.

Because of the above I assumed there would be some members in the south that had done the mod. That assumption was incorrect because I have not had any invites to visit.

However, I found a Forum called "Classic Ford". On that a person has written a comprehensive article, with photos, of the procedure and another has written on setting the carbs up. I still had a query so posted that and next day had a reply from Australia with the answer.

So, I now know what I need and what I need to do.

Thanks for the interest. Mick.