Car Photos... show what you have.

Guest Elliot Poston

3 hours ago, Mrbarry said:

Have you ever put short lengths of string on the leading Lower edge of the bonnet scoop and observed the air flow at different speeds? I’m intrigued as to the results because I have an idea the airflow will do all sorts of stuff. 

Relatively new to kitcars; always wanted to build my own 7, this came along and I grabbed it with both hands. Yes I could see the scoop having positive & negative effects on the air intake; possibly the reasoning behind the two hoods available. This scoop design plus the open 360 with the pancake filter poking up out through the hood. Shall take a look once I have her back on the road.

All good. I have a feeling air will flow out of it not in at some speeds. I’m trying to design one for my car purely as engine bay cooling, NASCAR’s have these cents the other way around with a round hole underneath 65-68% sectional area of the scoop. The lee behind causing a vacuum and scavenging hot air from the engine bay. 
Looking at the cross section of the nose cone in comparison with a scoop you could have higher pressure in the engine bay than over the mouth of the scoop/vent. All depends how well the underside of the engine bay evacuates air. 

I can follow your line of thought; all dependant on the back pressure (under/over pressure created within the engine bay)

Here's an interesting article running the engine cooling system at a higher pressure allowing the engines to run 90 deg's F above stock limiting the effects of cooling drag by tapping up the radiator vents.

https://jalopnik.com/the-fascinating-reason-why-nascar-engines-run-so-hot-1835071544

Also noticed; not only are the vent scoops reversed as you said they sunk below the body line.

So in essence keeping things standard without changing the cooling system as per NASCAR (£££) one needs to ensure engine bay pressure is always lower than the inlets

• 4 weeks later...