Attaching windscreen frame to support brackets

peter_m7uk

Hi.   I don't have instructions for windscreen fitting with my kit, only for a flyscreen which I won't be using.    My question is on the recommended method to attach the windscreen frame to the 2 supporting brackets.   Have people used screws, set screws, rivets?  What type of head?   Did you use a tap if you put screws in?   Did you use something different for the fitting process and the final attachment?

Cheers,

Pete

As per the instructions I used 3 self tapping screws per side.

I drilled a 1.5mm pilot hole in the frame with a stop on the drill bit to prevent the drill hitting the glass.

I checked that the screws were long enough the properly enguage the aluminium frame without touching the glass and ground the tips of the screws off as the length was almost long enough to touch.

Been on since 1997 and 70,000 miles without any problems.

I cut the sides off the head of M6 countersunk screws and fitted them from the inside of the frame, then fitted dome head nuts on the outside. After drilling holes in the frame with 6mm drill (using a hardboard windscreen) I then "wobbled" the drill from inside the frame to give a countersink. 

HTH 

Nick 

1 hour ago, IanS said:

As per the instructions I used 3 self tapping screws per side.

I drilled a 1.5mm pilot hole in the frame with a stop on the drill bit to prevent the drill hitting the glass.

I checked that the screws were long enough the properly enguage the aluminium frame without touching the glass and ground the tips of the screws off as the length was almost long enough to touch.

Been on since 1997 and 70,000 miles without any problems.

Yup, same as me... some detail in my blog: https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2017/07/all-clear-ahead.html

Great, thanks, Nicko and Nelmo.   If I understand correctly, you cut the sides of the countersunk screws otherwise they wouldn't fit into the frame?  And why use a hardboard screen?  If you can take the glass out, can't you just drill into a bare frame?

Cheers,

Pete

Actually, I didn't do anything to my screws (I can't remember if they were countersunk or domed) - they were just long enough to go through the frame without touching the glass.

I didn't use hardboard either - I drilled the frame first with the glass out and a small drill (2mm?), just as a pilot for the self-tappers. Then fitted the glass and screwed them in...much easier than I expected.

When my glass got broken I found it had been bodged with tiny ground off self tappers which were loose. I redid did the holes and fitted small stainless bolts with ground down heads and fitted nuts on the outside. I felt I would rather have a visible strong fitting than a hidden dodgy one as previously. I put plastic nut covers on anyway so although you can see the fixings it looks neat.