Raising the engine

dandan62

I'm going to put some small spacers under the engine mount to to gain a bit of ground clearance so need to jack up the engine a few inches. Best place to put two trolley jacks? Instinct says under the oil pan is a bad idea even though it has a steel protection plate welded to the bottom. Any thoughts? I don't have an engine lift.

All depends what engine you have if a pinto I have jacked mine from under the engine crank pulley, with the aid of a small piece of wood on the jack. How high do you want to lift the engine off the ground for clearance?

What clearance do you have under the bonnet that you can use to help give ground clearance? 

Its a 1.6 pinto. I have about 10mm clearance under the bonnet by replacing the thick carb mount so I'm of the opinion that every little helps.  I need to raise rhe engine off the mount bolts so i can put some washers in. Lots of high crowns on the roads around here. I've already raised the coilovers to their highest.

Thanks very much. I think i will use both trolleys and us both your suggestions to spread the load. I finally stopped the sump gasket leak that lots of pintos have so I'm trying not to spoil it as i dread having to take it off again. Cheers all.