theducks Ford Prefect 100e ex-drift car Turbo Pinto Project

theduck

Well I suppose it is about time I show you all what is replacing the Robin Hood, so here it is, the first video in a project car series.  Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I'll change the topic title to something more meaningful in a few days so those who are interested dont have the surprise spoilt.  Also, for those of you who havent seen them posted elsewhere, there have been a couple of videos showing some mini-projects going on prior to the start of the build, so you may be interested in catching up on this playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhF8mZsmx_w&list=PL-_tWQqniU8kE9fgNjIv3RsQQ0AwjvdbN

Edited by theduck
  • Like 1

Yeh it’s pretty good base, so couldn’t turn it down!  The Volvo axles pretty strong, seen Volvos around 450bhp still running them and only having issues when they are trying to launch them down the drag strip on slicks. So should be fine for my smokey old pinto 😂

Its 7pm (ish) on a Wednesday, so it's new video time!  In this weeks video we finish making the 100e a roller again! We make a custom panhard bar, make brackets for the front suspension components, and finalise the steering setup.  For such a mix match of components it has all gone together surprisingly well and even the ride heights are close enough to make it work so this is the first big milestone ticked off.

Next week we'll be ticking off another milestone, getting the engine and gearbox properly mounted in the car.

• Like 2

Seems I forgot what my own release schedule was when i posted last week, so no engine mounting today, instead you get to see me starting work on repairing the scrap yard fibreglass bonnet.  The more I work on this bonnet, the more I have come to realise, it really wasnt as good as it looked in the photos, and realistically it wasnt worth the "saving" over buying a new one.  Having said that, if I had bought a new one then I wouldnt have had much I could get on with while the car is still at my mates, so in a way, it has been quite nice to have this to focus on during the weekday evenings when i cant get over to work on the rest of the car.

It's that time of the week again!  In this weeks video the Turbo Pinto setup gets thrown in the general direction of the 100e's engine bay and we take a look to see where it lands.  All in all, it wasnt too bad, the transmission mount was simpler than expected as all the bits we needed to bolt in the one I bought were already fitted to the car, but the engine mounts didnt go quite as smoothly...

This weeks video is a bit shorter than normal, but I wanted to try a new style of video and see what you all think.  I wont do every video like this, but I have another, longer fabrication video in the works that I intend to do in this style, but I wont if you hate it!  So make sure you give me some feedback so I have chance to change next weeks video if I need to!

In this video, we make some custom billet parts especially for making things fit the Ford Prefect 100e project car.  It never ceases to amaze me how many hours go into things like this, but the end result is worth it. 

Edited by theduck

In this weeks video we build a new tube front end for the Ford 100e Prefect project car as unfortunately the last setup was removed before we bought the car. Plus side is we get to build it how we want! With that complete we finally have something we can mount the radiators too - Yes, for those who arent familiar with the previous car, we have 2 rads in this setup! - as well as get the bodywork on at least a little bit straighter than it was before 1f603.png

Edited by theduck

It seems a very long time ago that I first drove down to view this car for it to only now be coming home, but that's because it was at my good friends Steve Walford Motorsports until now. Now that the major bits of work that Steve is helping with are done, it is time for the 100e Prefect to come home and for me to get started on fitting all the parts I have been gathering for it. In this video I set about tackling the boot lid fitment, which doesn't sound like it should be that difficult, but it was far more complicated then it should have been. Also get one of the kirkey seats fitted so can start working out where everything else is going to live!

Edited by theduck

Now, where does this bit go?

That's a question I see my self asking a lot over the coming weeks, so first thing first better formulate a plan! I need to work out where everything is going to live, and of course, the plan I had in my mind looks like it isn't going to work out. Still, in this weeks video we make lots of progress, the pedal box is in, the battery is in, the handbrake is half in, we make a CAD template for one of the two switch panels, and even make plans for plumbed in fire extinguisher!

It's that time of the build where I want to start building a completely custom wiring harness for the 100e, but not old is there a lot of wiring in this video, I receive a very generous gift from a subscriber! First up though is making FIVE battery leads, 1 ground, 1 to the FIA battery cut off, 1 to the bulk head connector, 1 to the alternator and last but not least,  1 to the starter! With those out the way it is time to turn attention to the main fuse board, which leads on to the fancy start button set up I want to use! It really is never ending this stuff.

• Like 1