Powder coating lifetime

nelmo

So how long can I expect my powder coated chassis to stay rust-free? 

I've read a few stories of people having to basically rebuild their cars because the powder coating started to flake off and rust set in. Is there anything I can do now to prolong its life? 

Early Zero's are pretty bad, the powder coating wasn't up to scratch. Mine is showing rust already (I bought it off ebay as an unstarted project, so it's an old chassis in that sense even though it was only put on the road 2 years ago, at which point it was all fine bar some blemishing on the roll-over hoop). I'm fine with it; GBS told me as much, they advised I got it stripped and re-powder-coated as the early cars were known to be bad. I chose not to, it defeated the point of getting the chassis cheap and would have made more sense to buy a brand new one!

5 hours ago, brumster said:

Early Zero's are pretty bad, the powder coating wasn't up to scratch. Mine is showing rust already (I bought it off ebay as an unstarted project, so it's an old chassis in that sense even though it was only put on the road 2 years ago, at which point it was all fine bar some blemishing on the roll-over hoop). I'm fine with it; GBS told me as much, they advised I got it stripped and re-powder-coated as the early cars were known to be bad. I chose not to, it defeated the point of getting the chassis cheap and would have made more sense to buy a brand new one!

Do you know what is meant by 'early' - bought mine from GBS in 2015...

Edited by nelmo