Fitting MX5 1.8 to to a Sierra based 2B

Ian Craster

Hi Guys and gals,

I,m building a 2B and have a pinto and type 9 set up but looking at something more up to date, I have been offered a mx5 engine and box has anyone fitted a mx5 in a 2b do they fit and how easy is it fit. How does it affect the IVA I was trying to go for my Sierra donor car reg, do I just change the engine no. for the MX5 no.

Edited by Ian Craster

Hi Ian, if I was building a kit now that is the route I would be tempted to take, the MX5 has been fitted to such a large variety of vehicles there will be loads of info out there if you do a bit of searching, and of coarse there is supercharging or turbo.

I am currently fitting a 1.8 MX5 engine and gearbox into a 2B. You will need to fabricate engine and gearbox mounts but no chassis modifications are needed to get the MX5 unit into the 2B.

I bought a 2004 MX5 with MOT failure due to corrosion and stripped everything including ECU and entire wiring loom.

So far I am in profit in that the proceeds from selling old pinto engine and gearbox plus unwanted parts from the MX5 (roof, doors, seats , bonnet etc) has more than covered what I have spent.

The MX5 sump needs to be shortened. You will need not get a prop shaft made/customised. I have made my own floor mounted pedal box. I have also used/customised the MX5 exhaust manifold.

At the moment I am trying to sort out the wiring loom. Stripping out everything that is not needed etc.

Photos of what I have done so far at the following link.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO87HaDccv1C1geXSmfIa2RuoCaiSgfV3jxKUY62Wy9OrQdxxILjAQvYmkpRIH4gA?key=eGRhaWN3aHNKem9DX2YwbGc1cERYaU9MV3NLVnFn

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2020 at 1:36 PM, phaeton said:

Can I make a suggestion, @Richard Grove please feel free to ignore, I would not place my air intake behind the radiator, I'd be trying to get it into clean cold air

Alan, you were absolutely right. I finally got everything finished and thru MOT. As soon as we started driving on the road there was an obvious dead spot at higher revs once the engine was warmed up. It was running great when cold. Moving the air filter further back away from the radiator cured the problem straight away.

Cheers

Richard

On 2/21/2020 at 1:36 PM, phaeton said:

Can I make a suggestion, @Richard Grove please feel free to ignore, I would not place my air intake behind the radiator, I'd be trying to get it into clean cold air

Alan, you were absolutely right. I finally got everything finished and thru MOT. As soon as we started driving on the road there was an obvious dead spot at higher revs once the engine was warmed up. It was running great when cold. Moving the air filter further back away from the radiator cured the problem straight away.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNuzG_7vig0eeju4NiIE_dF3JiQzL2kEsr4GpKU

Cheers

Richard