FUEL TANK

Ian Craster

Hi all,

I have the old style fuel tank hole one end welded studs the other, this seems a very makeshift system prone to leaking, I am going to have a pipe connection welded to the filler end but the info I need is what to do with the sender unit hole. Still use a Sierra sender unit or is there something more up to date to have welded/fitted on.

I made my tank out of stainless and used the original sierra fittings. For the filler hole i used the bit rubber grommit and for the sender i cut around the shaped hole from sierra tank and riveted and araldited it to my tank. The sender then fits exactly as it did in the sierra by turning and locking into place. Just remember to work out where the arm of the sender will sit in the tank and affix the shaped hole in the correct position.

I used the RH filler neck but added an extension as my tank was just a bit lower and i wasn't convinced it went intot he tank far enough. I recently drilled a couple of holes near the top though as without these i couldn't fill the tank right to the top as the air couldn't escape from the top 2 inches.

It's been like this for 10years without a problem (so far ;) )

I had the same tank setup, managed to get a good enough seal I was pulling a massive vacuum in the tank!  That was using robin hood filler neck, though I think was after I swapped to efi so was the landrove intank setup, which again was just push fit on a rubber seal.