What car would you buy if you won the lottery?

MarkBzero

I don't have expensive tastes so my choice would be a Classic Mini with a Honda V-tech motor, I ran Minis in Rallying in my youth and I would love to have a Mini in an updated form to see what it would be like being able to go quickly and be able to stop! which was always a problem.

1 hour ago, theduck said:

That is kind of my problem with new cars, no one really makes what I want, so I'd end up building lots of things instead!

Totally agree. The reality is I'd probably be more likely to choose a more 'retro' classic car than anything the manufacturers punt out these days. Modern new cars great for doing the job of being a car, that's fine, but very little floats my boat too apart from the uber-expensive silly stuff. Even then, give me an old F40 , or a Lotus Carlton, or an air-cooled 911 Turbo any day of the week :)

Agreed Brumster. New metal lacks the mechanical oily feeling of older cars. That connection you got of man and machine which is so lacking today. Often it’s wise to appreciate the older cars from memory tho, revisiting the past can be like meeting your hero’s, vastly disappointing. I do love the simple honesty of older cars, but not the gremlins and long faded war wounds they inflicted. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mrbarry said:

Agreed Brumster. New metal lacks the mechanical oily feeling of older cars. That connection you got of man and machine which is so lacking today. Often it’s wise to appreciate the older cars from memory tho, revisiting the past can be like meeting your hero’s, vastly disappointing. I do love the simple honesty of older cars, but not the gremlins and long faded war wounds they inflicted. 

Which is why I bought a steam boat --- total loss oiling & can see all the bits & pieces of the engine doing their thing. Not even with our kits can you sit at the side of the road/river & strip down the valve chest, find & fix the fault.  Then just a few bob's worth of wood/coal be on your way again.

Down side is I need a car & trailer to be able to take our 2 tonne launch to various locations.

Was fortunate to  compete twice in the London to Brighton Vintage Run several years ago.  Engine needed 1000 psi to climb hills & was fuelled by a fire of petrol/paraffin mix under your seat. Tiller steering & brakes " lubricated"  by engine oil & condensate  made for interesting travel on the route still populated by modern cars.

Brake performance --- going over Westminster Bridge towards Parliament  couldn't stop at the lights due to the downward slope, so through the red, turn left the wrong way up the one way street , bat-turn & correct travel to the lights by which time the band brake was warm/dry enough to bring our Mobile to a stop. 

Much safer on the water where speed of all craft is so much slower.

• 2 weeks later...

A G-wiz ...🤪

I'd probably do dumb stuff like sleeper an old volvo estate or my peugeot 3008 mk1 which i know is a very odd choice but i like it and pretty much nobody has done that to my knowledge. Oh also re-do my 2b with all the modifications i've promised myself i'd do over the years.