Gearbox

garethbowers

Hey guys thinking of doing a bit on an upgrade to the box once my garage is built.  Currently running a 2b with Vauxhall c20xe and a type 9. 

I'm not overly fussed on the 9 as it seems sloppy and geared wrong. 

Question is, what would you do?  Are there any other boxes that are a relatively straight swap? 

Or do I change the gearing and rear diff? (No idea what it is now)

Cheers

I run a C20XE mated to a type 9 box,but after a major issue with the box it was rebuilt with modified internals and case. The 1st gear is now much longer so you don't have to change up as soon as the wheels are going round. I am very pleased with it. If you are interested I will look up the suppliers of the bits. Kerry did the mods to the casing so I don't know how much and from where he took the Metal. 

It might be BGH Geartech? They do uprated gearsets for the Type 9 that address ratios and improve lubrication on 1st/2nd gears, along with an uprated front layshaft bearing - just good durability improvements as well as performance.

Gareth, that's probably your first and cheapest port of call. Or look for a Caterham 6-speed but they're a bit like hen's teeth. After that I think you'd be looking at one-off adapter kits to get alternative gearboxes onto your Vauxhall (Mazda?), or else expensive aftermarket gearboxes from Quaife, Sadev, 3MO, Elite, yada yada...

18 hours ago, garethbowers said:

Hey guys thinking of doing a bit on an upgrade to the box once my garage is built.  Currently running a 2b with Vauxhall c20xe and a type 9. 

I'm not overly fussed on the 9 as it seems sloppy and geared wrong. 

Question is, what would you do?  Are there any other boxes that are a relatively straight swap? 

Or do I change the gearing and rear diff? (No idea what it is now)

Cheers

That would be great mate

25 minutes ago, brumster said:

It might be BGH Geartech? They do uprated gearsets for the Type 9 that address ratios and improve lubrication on 1st/2nd gears, along with an uprated front layshaft bearing - just good durability improvements as well as performance.

Gareth, that's probably your first and cheapest port of call. Or look for a Caterham 6-speed but they're a bit like hen's teeth. After that I think you'd be looking at one-off adapter kits to get alternative gearboxes onto your Vauxhall (Mazda?), or else expensive aftermarket gearboxes from Quaife, Sadev, 3MO, Elite, yada yada...

Will look into this too. Cheers.

I used this one from the One Stop Gearbox Shop on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Type-9-Gearbox-Uprated-2-98-1-Ratio-Long-first-gear-conversion-kit-/191975767217?epid=539762608&hash=item2cb2a5bcb1:g:E8cAAOSwsW9YyBPp

I got all the other parts I needed from them, baring set, gasket set and a replacement lay shaft.

All very good and prompt service. 

It's nothing special, as Stu says you've still got that manically short 1st... mind you, it does have much better spaced gears from there on up the box... so if you like stirring gears, it's an option, given how expensive Type 9's are getting these days (£200 for a snotter!). If you look in my attachments, there's a spreadsheet you can use to map gearbox options and ratios/etc.