Series 3 Things to look out for

phaeton

Going to look at a 2002 Series 3 on Friday, any gotcha's or things I MUST check, need to check whether I fit & comfortable, but any mechanical issues, I've read the warning on https://nw.rhocar.org/identification.htm but anyone got the particulars of what I'm supposed to actually be looking for?

Hi. Is it the black silver one on strickly kitcar? Looks good value to me. I am not one of the true experts on here but I know its important to check for any cracks in welds on the monocoque joints. You have obviously read about the importance of the grease nipples on the top front suspension. Check around the steel supports for cracks or deformation of the bolt holes. I have the earlier sierra based model. Expect heavy steering and stiff front suspension as it has not had the tie bar conversion..if its that car. Not a deal breaker at all but a fairly easy job to do which is well worth it. Hopefully others will chip in to add their greater knowledge. Good luck.

Yes it is, had to look what "strictly kitcar" was as I don't normally do fecesbook I'd deleted my account & had to resurrect it to send the owner a message. Is it going to be a stainless chassis or mild steel do you know? What is the tie bar conversion? Sorry as you can tell I'm a newbie on RH's but not to kits.

I think it it was mild steel it would be painted so 90% sure its stainless. The tie bars replace the old heavy and over stiff sierra front anti roll bar which joins the front suspension under the car side to side. The conversation just improves things but i think many exist happily without it. I'm not super mechanical but managed the conversation myself.

• Thanks 1

The most important thing to check is the V5.  Make sure it is correctly registered as a Robin Hood.   If not, then walk away 😀

Later:  Ignore this, I just did an MOT check on the number plate and it does come up as a Robin Hood.

Edited by alanrichey
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, alanrichey said:

The most important thing to check is the V5.  Make sure it is correctly registered as a Robin Hood.   If not, then walk away 😀

Sage advice, already done that I looked at what it failed it's MOT on in the past.

Been reading up on the tie bar, various posts on here & on the NW site, only question is how to you fasten the new box section to the chassis, if you weld it, how do you weld stainless, just like normal but with stainless wire? I suppose I need to do some more googling

A couple of bolts through with a bit of angle iron to strengthen on the inside. Only issue tends to depend on where the engine mount it. Sometimes a bit of fettling is required. But really don't let this put you off the car. We all enjoy doing these little improvements to our cars. It makes it feel your own.

Thank you, came across that site after a search along with 

Shame the photobucket images are blurred, (whatever were they thinking), it interestingly says the diagrams are available from @mower man hopefully still are as he only lives a few miles from me.

Definitely marked as sold. Don't worry, they come up regularly. Maybe in the meantime find some local meetings and have a look at the various options so you can jump in quickly when something comes on the market.