Daily Limit of Posts

phaeton

Couldn't find a suitable place to put this so at least here it can easily deleted or moved to a more suitable place.

On 2 (possibly 3) occasions now I have hot the daily posting limit on each occasion it has been when I have seen a RH for sale & want extra information about something specific about the kit. Yes I know the simple answer is to pay the £20 & become a member, but as a Yorkshireman & a potential non RH owner should I be forced to? 

I understand that restricting non members to only 5 posts a day is presumably to stop spam & entice people to become members, but is 5 the right number?

We put a lot of thought into how many posts non members should have and we agreed that 5 is suitable this is to let non members see what the forum is like etc and then they can decide to join or not you don’t need to have a Robin Hood to be a member either last year I was out with the members in my mx5 whilst my kit was off the road 

Take it from somebody who has hit the 5 count limit, when you are actively looking to buy a RH & need to ask questions about a potential purchase 5 is not enough. But heyho it's your back garden, your rules.

Think you are kind of just reinforcing the committees decision as being the right level.  You have been able to post enough to see the value in being able to use the forum, but are frustrated by not being able to post more which can be solved by joining. My question to you would be, what is stopping you from joining?  your feedback could lead to changes to remove whatever blocker there is to you joining fully.

9 hours ago, theduck said:

My question to you would be, what is stopping you from joining?.

The fact I do not own a RH & as the seller sold the one I was enquiring about before I go there, no blame I would have done the same if somebody walked up with cash, I have now gone another way & bought a GTM, but I do not believe 5 is the correct amount, however as said it's your playground your rules.

In this instance clearly 5 wasn't enough but as Stuart says, we've tried to strike a balance which is very difficult. The main problem we face is that as a forum, we're operating alongside the many different Facebook groups that people are now more used to using and weren't around when the forum was started.

Unlike Facebook groups, we incur costs to host the forum that Facebook don't have and these have to be paid for by membership fees. We tread a fine line between giving members unlimited access but still allow community users enough access to see that the forum has the benefit of not only the current discussions but also a vast amount of historic information that can be searched easily.

Glad to hear that you've managed to get a GTM - they're a cracking car and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

I've gone for a K3, it's currently got a 1.4 in it, I have a 1.8VVC in the garage that needs rebuilding, so going to see how it performs & change it if necessary. My only concern is fitting in it, I have long legs, I tried to sit in one a couple of years ago & couldn't get my right leg in, the seats wouldn't go back far enough, I'm hoping that fitting something like MX5 seats will get around that. The buggy with the 1.8 non VVC was great, I just need a little bit more refinement as age is catching me up, hoping to use it as a daily driver, along with my 72 Beetle

So I built a K3 in '95, if you have any questions just PM me ;) what reg is it, do you know the history/who built it? The then-owners of GTM, Paddy and Peter, were both tall guys (Paddy in particular) so you almost certainly should be able to get in one don't worry.

TBH I don't know a great deal about it, I'm buying it virtually blind, the owner has sent me 3 images of it stuck in his workshop, it's white, it's on a Q plate, it's correctly registered, it has a engine out of a 1.4 GTI Metro, part of the agreement was it had to be running to load it onto my son's flatbed, he says he charged the battery but the starter failed, put a new starter on & it fired straight away. Out of MOT but not bothered about that, but other than that I said yes, it's cheap enough even with a 400 mile round trip if it MOT's without a huge cost even if I don't like it somebody will buy it off me in a couple of months, Stoneleigh is only 8? weeks away.

DSCN1584.jpg

Edited by phaeton

Cool, have fun! Looks like it has the usual sagged doors and horrendous panel gaps on the boot, although thankfully the bonnet (normall the worst culprit) looks pretty good.

They are very fussy on suspension geometry (ride height) and the back end will feel awful if any bushes are worn. There are some void bushes in the lower wishbones which GTM used to sell replacement bushes that were solid (no void) to improve taughtness on the back end. It is worth it, there is nothing more horrible than feeling rear wheel steering when you don't want it :)

Mechanically they're solid, though, the 1.4 K-Series is pretty bulletproof but check the cooling on it - make sure it warms up quickly but also keeps cool if left ticking over. They suffer the usual problem of a badly designed cooling system as per the MGF (not meant for long runs to the front) so a remote thermostat fix is common. Even just a tiny 4mm bleed hole drilled into the thermostat outer can work wonders! A lot of people just pulled the thermostat out but this meant the things took forever to warm up and never ran at temperature.

Gear level mechanism will possibly feel crap. It can be improved but it will never feel light and slick. Clutch can be heavy too with the long cable run, particularly in the cable has been kinked tightly. Clutch cables snapping was common place. Many converted to hydraulic, they were so sick of it :)

Not the most watertight of roofs either, and while torsion rigidity was improved over the Mk.II Rossa (I had one of those beforehand) there is still quite a lot of scuttle shake with the roof off!

Not sure if it's actual panel gap or that it's not been fully closed, hadn't noticed the door until you mentioned it, but they are a kit at the end of the day, they are what they are.

Never had a problem with cooling on the buggy, left the thermostat in, but fitted a bleed at the radiator & into the heater matrix, then along with the 3rd on on the hard pipe at the back of the engine just made sure it was full of water, also fitted an alarm into the expansion bottle as I once had a pipe come off underneath & didn't know about it until it was too late.

Have been reading up & very surprised they went for cable clutch, suppose it was okay when the engine was at the front, my buggy had the PG1 box so hydraulic, not sure if you can make the R65 box hydraulic but will look into it, I have a slave cylinder off a MGF in the workshop, along with the PG1, shame I didn't keep the pedal.

Hoping to either fit a hoop at the back, or ideally a cage to pick up front & rear subframe mounts to give it some more rigidity, I can imagine they will twist, we have a SLK & even driving that with the roof down you could see the windscreen move.

Interesting about the guys who built them being tall, the one I sat in had Metro seats in I think, hopefully be able to find some thinner & lower, where's there a will there's a way.

Brings back memories of an earlier GTM --- we rebuilt a Cox GTM in 1972 -- we loved it, the roof lifted off the 'screen at 50, the gear change was stir & hope ( mini engine in back) & fuel surge made the engine die on corners.

It was far better looking than the Mini Marcos of the same vintage.