Immobiliser

Lee Raybould

Hi everyone 

Three weeks ago I purchased a sterling excel thatchcam cat 2 transponder immobiliser. If anyone has purchased one you will know they come without instructions, I have tried numerous times emailing the seller for information and been promised wiring diagrams but nothing yet. I'm now  getting frustrated as the iva is getting closer. Has anyone got any information on this unit they could post on here. I'm fitting it to my robin hood 2b powered by the 2ltr pinto fuel injection. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Thought a steering lock & ignition key switch required ( two methods of immobilising ) were the IVA requirements -- which is enough to satisfy the regs -- which you have already got if using the standard column switch/lock.

We have a manual battery isolator with a 5 amp fuse bridge for side lights -- if the starter or ignition is switched ON the fuse blows.

5 hours ago, theduck said:

My column didnt have steering lock, which is why i fitted the immobiliser.  Not a bad thing to have fitted anyway in my opinion.

I've seen more genuine owners immobilised by their immobilisers than would-be car thieves 😁. Once waited for 6 hours at the top of a French mountain for a recovery truck for my mates motorbike because the stupid immobiliser wouldn't let him start the engine. 

Mate once got recovered by the AA with his bike, came round to ask if I'd have a look, I picked up my multimeter & walked around to his house, looked at the bike, flicked the kill switch from off to on or on to off if you prefer, pressed the starter button & it fired straight up, 30 years later I'm still reminding him at suitable times.