1990 Ford sierra DOHC 2.0 engine carb to efi

Guest mericmemis

Guest mericmemis

I have just bought my first car and it is a 1990 Ford sierra with a DOHC 2.0 engine . The problem is this engine has carburetor instead of EFI . Is it possible to replace the carburetor with a EFI from an other sierra and if it is possible would that cause too much problem and too hard to replace ?

Assuming your car didn't start out as EFi and has been swapped to a carb, you'd need the inlet manifold, fuel rail, injectors, ECU and wiring off another 2.0 DOHC engine. Then you need a high pressure fuel pump, flow and return lines from the tank, possibly extra electrical sensors on the engine.

So in theory, yes it's possible but it could be a lot of work for not that much gain. Why do you particularly not want to have a carb?

Can't speak of the Pinto --- but our 2B runs an 1800 CVH lump ( which followed the pinto?) & we converted it to fuel injection by using all the bolt-on bits from an XR3i --- fitted a treat --- best inlet manifold I've seen.  HP pump was a standard Bosch job, dozens of copies about.

Guest mericmemis

Most of the DOHC engines are originally EFI but there are few ones with a carb. I want it to be EFI cuz its more fuel efficient and gives more performance and starts easier at cold winter days . But do you think its better to keep it as carb ? .

And thank you so much for the reply btw.

Guest mericmemis
37 minutes ago, fry61 said:

Can't speak of the Pinto --- but our 2B runs an 1800 CVH lump ( which followed the pinto?) & we converted it to fuel injection by using all the bolt-on bits from an XR3i --- fitted a treat --- best inlet manifold I've seen.  HP pump was a standard Bosch job, dozens of copies about.

wow sound promising when you say it like that . Thanks 

Even if you got all the parts for nothing and everything worked, I still think it would be a lot of work for limited benefit. The best option would be to get a complete efi car as a donor but they're not common (at least in the UK), use what  parts you need and try and sell the rest. 

The 2.0 DOHC engine isn't especially popular for tuning but if you want more power, you could maybe go for bike carbs but you'd need a manifold which could be hard to find and these carbs aren't known for being economical on fuel.

What about other options like swapping to a Zetec from something like a Mondeo and running the Ford ecu? Again it's a lot of work but it's a more modern engine and will be much easier to find. 

Good suggestion from Bob on the cvh, not as common as the Zetec but probably more common than the DOHC. 

Guest mericmemis
4 hours ago, richyb66 said:

Even if you got all the parts for nothing and everything worked, I still think it would be a lot of work for limited benefit. The best option would be to get a complete efi car as a donor but they're not common (at least in the UK), use what  parts you need and try and sell the rest. 

The 2.0 DOHC engine isn't especially popular for tuning but if you want more power, you could maybe go for bike carbs but you'd need a manifold which could be hard to find and these carbs aren't known for being economical on fuel.

What about other options like swapping to a Zetec from something like a Mondeo and running the Ford ecu? Again it's a lot of work but it's a more modern engine and will be much easier to find. 

Good suggestion from Bob on the cvh, not as common as the Zetec but probably more common than the DOHC. 

yeah a zetec engine might be a good option guess all just go with the carb for a while and see how it works out  . Thanks again .