Stuck Clutch

geordie40

Hi

Since breaking my wrists my Super Spec has been stood for about 2-3 months outdoors and now it seems the clutch plate is stuck as when engine is not running I can select any gear however with engine running I cant select a thing. The cable mech works fine, so how do  go about freeing the clutch plate, is it a case of starting it in 4th gear say , I cant really take it anywhere so I have to try whatever on the drive with a brick wall about 15ft in front!!.  Car has a Rover T series engine and a MT75 box.

Trust it to be 1st sunny day since my cast came off as well!!!

First thing I'd suggest is to get everything warm/hot. I have sometimes found that once warmed through the plate releases on it's own if you leave the clutch pedal depressed overnight.

Could then try running in gear on axle stands with the pedal depressed and applying the brakes, but that didn't work for me. (even with a hot engine)

I did have to get the vehicle towed along, clutch depressed but in gear, weight in the back, until it freed after about 100 yards. (after that episode I vowed never to let it happen again, and although it's never been so bad since, I have had to resort to 'First thing I'd suggest...')

Good luck

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, will try your suggestions, how did you stop it happening again?

Worked a treat letting car warm up fully, pumped clutch a couple of times whilst wiggling gear stick and "pop" it freed up, Better get on and use it now!!

Edited by geordie40

12 hours ago, emptyat said:

I have a stick which is the right length to wedge between the seat base and the pedal to keep it depressed. Always a bit wary of leaving the pedal depressed for too long, but it does stop it sticking...

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, will look into that next winter!!

13 hours ago, emptyat said:

I have a stick which is the right length to wedge between the seat base and the pedal to keep it depressed. Always a bit wary of leaving the pedal depressed for too long, but it does stop it sticking...

Malcolm

Will that not do more damage to the pressure plate springs & the release bearing?

6 minutes ago, emptyat said:

That's why I said that I'm a bit wary of doing it, but having had a seriously stuck plate in the past I now do use the stick but for intermittent periods.

Malcolm

It's not something I would do, I'd rather deal with the stuck clutch afterwards, than have to strip a gearbox out to replace what were good items.

It wouldn’t effect the bear box. The clutch is independent of the gear box. I’ve built dozens of gear boxes, mainly Toyota I admit, but the input shaft just sits inside the friction plate or plates of the clutch, nothing in the box moves with clutch action. 
Spring fingers of the pressure plate could be weakened I guess, they are put under a bit more pressure when you part the plates by pressing the clutch peddle as Brumster said. But they don’t move far, I’d be comfortable enough to leave mine pressed with out worrying. That said I have left cars for years and never had plates stick my self so I never gave it much thought. 

Is the cause of the stuck clutch due to damp binding the operating parts together ?  Maybe a car cover & a small heat source under the bell housing will provide an answer.  Envisage something like a 100/150 watt lamp in a biscuit tin., or a dehumidifier perhaps?

Once car warmed up it seemed to free itself and its probably only down to lack of use due to my injury that it happened. I did have a cheap cover on it over the winter but it split in the storms. I have now replaced it with a much better breathable multi layer one so hopefully will be better and I just need to use it more !!