2ltr pinto efi misfire and loss of power when hot

Lee Raybould

On 4/2/2020 at 4:55 PM, theduck said:

In my experience Pinto EFI ECU adds a LOT of fuel when it thinks the engine is cold, enough to cause incomplete combustion, loss of power, and unburnt fuel i the exhaust.  It could also cause fouling of the plugs which make the whole thing worse.

Hi I've changed the coil and it's no better. Would the coolant sensor be the one on the inlet side by number one cylinder green wire coming off it.

1 hour ago, richyb66 said:

So what was it? 

A bit of everything I think. Never run right since I picked her up last may. Over the past 12 month's she's been garaged stripping down and rebuilding as she'd been stood in a barn for 10 years. Done everything cosmetically so decided to get her running right. I found the coolant sensor plug ill fitting and a bit dirty but giving correct reading. Sorted that but still not running properly. For some reason when I put the timing light back on it was way too far advanced. Adjusted this then hey presto. Thanks everyone for the advice it got me there in the end.

Following closely after the bolting horse, I found this in my archives.

When I had a pinto on EFI I found it invaluable, It may be of use in the future. 

post-784-0-80845200-1519588963_thumb.jpgpost-784-0-09830800-1519588983_thumb.jpgpost-784-0-96579800-1519589020_thumb.jpg

Another tip I found very useful was to have a spare dizzy, attach it to an electric drill to spin it up. Any faults could be checked without having to turn the engine over 

On 4/5/2020 at 5:48 PM, Derek said:

Following closely after the bolting horse, I found this in my archives.

When I had a pinto on EFI I found it invaluable, It may be of use in the future. 

post-784-0-80845200-1519588963_thumb.jpgpost-784-0-09830800-1519588983_thumb.jpgpost-784-0-96579800-1519589020_thumb.jpg

Another tip I found very useful was to have a spare dizzy, attach it to an electric drill to spin it up. Any faults could be checked without having to turn the engine over 

Great article

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I went to my garage this morning to pick the Robin hood up and drive it home to do some cosmetics. Got to the end of the lane (about 50 yards) and all the problems were back, obviously not fixed. Really testing me now, any more ideas before I take to stripping the head off.

I had a similar problem with my EFI system. It was an earth on the EFI loom.

I had looked at everything but it wasn't until I removed the EFI loom, it is separate to the main car loom, I found one of the earth connectors had rotted off inside the insulation so it looked fine but there was no connection. When given a firm tug it fell apart. 

I cannot remember which earth it was but perhaps checking all of them would be a good first step. 

Found this if it helps finding the earth. 

Granada Loom.JPG‎

Edited by Derek
Found picture

Have you checked the fuel side? could be a blockage in the system/tank which allows enough fuel for the engine to start and run slowly but not enough to drive it. Is it possible to run the pump into a container and see how much flow you get?

think i would go with peter check out fuel system 

had a problem with my 2b it would start up from cold fine foot down pull away full throttle belted along but once it was up to temperature it would pop and bang no power but would tickover fine turned out the fuel was vapourising in the pipe so i re routed fuel pipe away from heat sources  and  reduced the  run of pipe were i could ran fine after that

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, Derek said:

I had a similar problem with my EFI system. It was an earth on the EFI loom.

I had looked at everything but it wasn't until I removed the EFI loom, it is separate to the main car loom, I found one of the earth connectors had rotted off inside the insulation so it looked fine but there was no connection. When given a firm tug it fell apart. 

I cannot remember which earth it was but perhaps checking all of them would be a good first step. 

Found this if it helps finding the earth. 

Granada Loom.JPG‎

Thanks for your information. I checked everything over yesterday, there was an earth loose and I found the engine earth strap disconnected (how I missed that I dont know)I thought I had solved it until this morning when I attempted to bring her home again got a bit further this time though before coming to a halt. Got it going again and managed to continue the journey all be it in first gear. After all the tampering with the timing an electrics whilst checking over again for the 100th time I noticed the hose coming of the fuel filter was folded shut. Rectified that and road tested. Hooray. 

22 hours ago, tractor said:

think i would go with peter check out fuel system 

had a problem with my 2b it would start up from cold fine foot down pull away full throttle belted along but once it was up to temperature it would pop and bang no power but would tickover fine turned out the fuel was vapourising in the pipe so i re routed fuel pipe away from heat sources  and  reduced the  run of pipe were i could ran fine after that

Thanks guys maybe sorted.