New rear lights

geordie40

17 minutes ago, phaeton said:

Personally I don't like them, too Lexus/chavy for my liking, but each to their own.

Haha, I am still undecided, I do like the round ones on Westfields but the black carbon pod looks a little to big to fit on the rear arch's.

Anyone else have any suggestions or pics of lights other than the standard caterham ones?

I actually tried this a couple of years ago.  See http://the-superspec-journey.blogspot.com/2016/09/gave-her-good-wash-yesterday-and.html

I just replaced one side and then took the car to the Greetham classic car meet to ask for opinions.   It was unanimous, everyone preferred the originals, much brighter and easier to see.   However, I will admit they were cheap Chinese ones off E-Bay so maybe it wasn't a valid test compared to the CBS ones.

Hi Alan, I have looked at something similar but they do tend to look like lorry lights. I was also going to remove all the light fitting including the black "wedge". These lights are a close fit size wise to cover where the old lights were

2 hours ago, alanrichey said:

I actually tried this a couple of years ago.  See http://the-superspec-journey.blogspot.com/2016/09/gave-her-good-wash-yesterday-and.html

I just replaced one side and then took the car to the Greetham classic car meet to ask for opinions.   It was unanimous, everyone preferred the originals, much brighter and easier to see.   However, I will admit they were cheap Chinese ones off E-Bay so maybe it wasn't a valid test compared to the CBS ones.

FWIW I like those

Yeah, quite like those myself (anything is better than the old fashioned chunky things IMO) - worth checking the dimensions to make sure they're a good fit (not too huge, or too small) - I've made that mistake a couple of times...😀

2 hours ago, nelmo said:

Yeah, quite like those myself (anything is better than the old fashioned chunky things IMO) - worth checking the dimensions to make sure they're a good fit (not too huge, or too small) - I've made that mistake a couple of times...😀

Caterham ones are 190 X 70 X 40

LEDs 190 X 50x 28

So should be a good fit

2 hours ago, agent_zed said:

on a practical note they don't look as if they have an angled mounting. Have you thought about how you will mount them so the lights are vertical (or thereabouts)?

Good point. I was going to mount them a little lower on the wing and see what they look like, Im sure the "old bill" or MOT station wont be out with their tape measure and plumb bob to see if there correct as long as they "look" correct I think I should be fine (fingers crossed)

• Like 1

These are the ones I fitted from SVC....

https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/led-rear-assembly-carbon-effect-housing--pair-/

Fitted almost exactly where the original RH ones came off.

Looks like the carbon effect housing is unavailable at the moment though.

I had to put a resistor in the indicator circuit which they can supply, I only used one resistor at the flasher unit.

Edited by Derek