Superspec Exhaust Headers

Hi

Just a quick one, does anyone know if the Superspec exhaust headers (the 4 into 1 bit) and twin tailpipes were stainless or mild steel, seeing as Im sat at home I thought i would try and give them a bit of a spruce up as they gone all discolored, the bit after the 4-1 is stainless as that polishes up nicely. If its not stainless any ideas how to "buff" them up.

Photo shows it a little bit

20190523_164936.jpg

Hi Graeme,

My exhaust headers have gone exactly the same as yours, and I've got a spare set that's also the same. I thought they were just mild steel, but was told by Richard Stewart himself that they are in fact stainless steel. I've found that the brown surface isn't really loose rust but more a discolouration, so I'm assuming they are some sort of ferritic stainless steel where it's the iron in the compound that is discoloring the surface. They are also slightly magnetic which confirms that.

I don't really have any idea if it's possible to clean them up or get a shine back on them. I tried bluing remover and that didn't work, and a wire brush didn't do much other than remove some rust from the welds. I've covered my headers under the bonnet with exhaust wrap, so like you it's only the bit outside the body that's still showing. Let me know if you find a solution 😀

As to the twin tailpipes I just covered mine with two slip-on chrome pipe finishers.

Saw video on Youtube about using thick bleach and wire wool , so this is the result and with a final polish of autosol, It looks better, I think maybe a heavier grade wool to start with or maybe some compound on a wheel mop thingy.

IMG_20200407_133641.jpg

• Thanks 1