High-level brake light

nelmo

I've bought this brake light to fit to my roll bar but it has flat feet and I'm trying to decide the best way to attach it - any suggestions?

I've had a look online but can't find anything obvious to buy that will help - I was thinking of making something out of ally and using gunk (the stuff used on body panels) to stick it to the rollbar? Something a bit like this.

Note, I don't want to drill into the rollbar and I also don't want to just rely on the sticky pads to hold the light on (happy to use cable-ties).

Edited by nelmo

Same problem with Florins hi red brake light.  Used a piece of aluminium ( top hat shape I think ) Shape to match light base & double sided tape for both joints should do the trick.

Can post you a piece if I have some left -- just need to know the max dimensions of your lamp base -- if that helps.

Good point Mark, I too drilled the roll bar to hide the wire running down into the boot; so one hole for cable & two more for fixings ( provided they are in line with the run of the tube ) will make no difference to the roll bar strength.

I also drilled the roll bar, as I didn't want to have the wire showing.   As a temporary fix I just used black plastic insulating tape at each end to hold the LED bar in position.    That was in August 2016 and it is still perfect so it moved from a temporary fitting to a permanent one 😀

Image1.jpg

Hmm, I guess I should drill the rollbar then - I was just worried I'd never get the wire threaded through but it must be do-able.

Thanks for the offer Bob but that's pretty much what I was going to make, so I'll crack on with that...(I quite enjoy making little ally brackets 😉).

I drilled one hole at the top to feed the wire through, then a slightly larger on where the roll bar goes into the body.  I fed some string through the hole and once it appeared at the bottom hole I then borrowed my wife's crochet hook to grab the string.   Then I attached the string to the wire and pulled it through.  Obviously if the bottom of your roll bar is open then you don't need to do that.  Mine has solid ends for some reason.

• Like 1

A couple of tips...if you have a compressor, feed loads of string into the entry hole. Block off all holes but the one you want the wire to exit, then use a big blast of air to send it down the tube.

Or use plastic strap from packages to feed down the tube.