Garage floor suggestions

MarkBzero

Going to tidy up the garage soon but the floor is a mess, little bits breaking up, oil stains and many shades of concrete.

What's the best option to cover the floor to make it easy to clean, I can park the car on or use axle stands when needed?

Ideally done once and forget solution.

Depends on what you want to do. You can get garage floor paint which is pretty good stuff makes life much easier for keeping clean sweeping etc stops loads of the dust and much easier to spot that dam tiny screw when you drop it. I usually go for the grey. 

if the floor is in bad condition you could get some self leveling and pour that down over the existing floor and let set then either leave or paint. Failing that possibly board it out but not sure that’s a good idea. 

I put resincoat epoxy on mine which is fantastic BUT...

i) I had the luxury of having put down fresh concrete so I know it was clean
ii) it's hard work cleaning the dust off the floor beforehand
ii) it is hard work spreading it on quick enough before it sets :D

I recommend it but you'd need a clean floor beforehand... you can get big surface-grinder style polishers that can take a layer of concrete off but then it's get even more expensive 😕 ...

Not good for the axle stands & jacks, they need a ply board underneath but great for your feet & especially your knees.  Gentlemen I recommend ---- Machinemart interlocking rubber tiles.

They are hard enough to drive over & smooth out an un-even floor.

Bought them 2006 for my workshop in Hampshire & brought them down to Cornwall, fitted over a poor concrete floor & still good condition; apart where the weld blobs have landed. ( The material melts leaving same size hole as the blob --- no flame )

They are cheap enough to do a large area.

Edited by fry61
Spelling

Dan, what I have is the Clarke Foam rubber matting, works out at £10/M2   they come in a pack of 6 with yellow edging if you wish to use just as mats. I covered the entire floor at my old workshop but back then I think I only paid around £6 a pack --- memory fades or that is what I told Sylvia they cost.

I need a very smooth floor as over the winter  I keep the car on 4 dolly's with little castors. This maximises my pathetic garage space when wheeling it about . Even our light cars are a pig to move over rough surface. Otherwise I would go for mats. 

Andi 

11 hours ago, maca said:

I came across this flooring on ebay  273572022786

Looks like a good price @ 

Tiles are only 60p each and you need 25 per sqm = £15 + Vat

Looks good and lots of different colours.