Newbie 2B

Guest painter

Guest painter

Hi all,

just about to buy a 2B (from distance so not driven yet!) and confused about the production dates. The car is a 2B but registered in 2019 and therefore does not need an MOT until 2022. When reading the club detail the 2B has not been made for some time (over to zero's) so should I be concerned? It has been through IVA early 2019 and taxed so I guess all should be ok? Also I am 17 stone, the car I am told is a wide body version so any advice if I will fit would be appreciated! many thanks

It's more a case of how agile you are not to put a finer point on it.

If you are young and fit then not a problem.

I am 75 approx 60Kg and still am able to get in and out my 2B 

The 2B was manufactured from approx 1998/9 to about 2005.

I purchased a part built 2B in 2005 and spent the next 12 years striping and rebuilding to a high standard that the origanal builders were never going to do, and gave up and sold the kit back to Robin Hood Engineering

Guest painter

Hi Maca,

thanks for the response, I am 71 but 17 stone (not an inactive beergutted 17 st.) I am now concerned that the car I am looking at was not registered until early 2019 (from 2005). The car looks almost new and appears well constructed, but why would 14 years have elapsed before IVA registration? 

Guest painter

Oh, so not unusual or more to the point not a major issue. Could you advise what to expect from a 135 bhp pinto in respect of 0 - 60 mph? I know it wont be as fast as a zetec Caterham but the whole reason for purchasing is to relive a sub 5 second 0 - 60 from a once owned Dutton. (many years ago)

many thanks for the reply 

6 minutes ago, painter said:

Hi Maca,

thanks for the response, I am 71 but 17 stone (not an inactive beergutted 17 st.) I am now concerned that the car I am looking at was not registered until early 2019 (from 2005). The car looks almost new and appears well constructed, but why would 14 years have elapsed before IVA registration? 

The date of IVA as Stuart states has no bearing on the elapsed time it took before the car was presented for IVA and then registtation with DVLA.

I had the car IVA'd in 2017 some 12 years after I purchased it and completed the rebuild.

Regards Martin

Guest painter

I have seen some pretty damning comments on Robin Hoods on Kit Cat sites yet they look no different to a Westfield or Caterham. Is it due to the tube frame quality (torsional stiffness etc.) They are certainly less expensive but I would have thought the quality depends on who put it together.  

When I had mine rolling road tuned it came in at about 110 BHP with the standard 2 Lt Pinto Inj engine so not had a 0-60 time but can say it is fast, All depends what engine is in the Caterham. I am sure that you will be happy with the results.

Martin 

We had an Exmo with a rolling-road confirmed 130bhp Pinto. On a 4 speed box it did 0-60 in just under 7 seconds, measured with a proper acceleration timer that RHOCaR had (done at a Curborough track day, hot day, dry, good conditions and good launch). So, I'm afraid, if you're dreaming of a sub-5 second performance, dream on :)

People's definitions of fast are different. Even my current Zero (180ish bhp, a whole load lighter and with a proper 6 speed gearbox) I do not consider "fast".

Edited by brumster

3 minutes ago, painter said:

I have seen some pretty damning comments on Robin Hoods on Kit Cat sites yet they look no different to a Westfield or Caterham. Is it due to the tube frame quality (torsional stiffness etc.) They are certainly less expensive but I would have thought the quality depends on who put it together.  

In my opinion many builders that started to build Robin Hoods lacked the engineering ability to know how to put one together and you can come across some that show that within the build.

Not wishing to have a dig at anyone that has built one in the past.

Don't want the mob coming after me for what I have put down on paper so to say. 

Martin

• Like 1

I really wouldn’t be concerned I purchased my kit in 2011 as a rolling chassis from the chap who bought it new and never completed it. It then took me 7 years and I finally got it Iva’d in July 18 so mine isn’t due it’s first mot until next summer. If anything it’s only getting harder to pass so at least you know the car is tested recently and not 10 plus years ago with unknown history. 

The 0-60 time is also really affected by the gearbox - my 150 bhp Zetec with an MT75 gearbox needs 2 gear changes to get to 60 so the best I've managed is 7.2s for 0-60 (I've got a GPS speedo with a 0-60 timer function).

With more practice, I might get it down to maybe 6.5s but modern cars with a similar power/weight ratios do 5s 0-60 times with flappy paddle gearboxes... 

Some-one else in Cornwall, in my age group & a maybe 2B owner.   Would invite you over for a coffee & a chat, show you our 2B & explain what we did on her build & IVA in 2011.

BUT we can't ---- the bug lock-down has been extended for another 3 weeks, maybe see you when we are allowed out again.

Which part of Cornwall are you hiding in at present?

Guest painter

Hi all,

many thanks for the replies, looks as though I am going away from Robin Hood and aiming for a sub 4 sec. 0 - 60 container, be that a Westfield/Caterham. Lotus are now far too expensive, Patrick McGoohan has a lot to answer for. My aim was to once again relive the experience I once had owning an old S2 Lotus 7 which had breathtaking acceleration.  Of course my recollections are from the late 60's when most cars were lucky to get to 60mph. However I have a Merc. SL500 and that doesn't feel so fast. I have joined the club and at the end of the day a kit car is a kit car and many of the problems will be of a similar nature. This is obviously a lively club and perhaps you may accept a Kit owner who does not necessarily own a RH!. (If not I fully understand and will seek pastures elsewhere). Once again thanks for the advice and responses.