Newbie 2B

Guest painter

6 hours ago, painter said:

Hi all,

many thanks for the replies, looks as though I am going away from Robin Hood and aiming for a sub 4 sec. 0 - 60 container, be that a Westfield/Caterham. Lotus are now far too expensive, Patrick McGoohan has a lot to answer for. My aim was to once again relive the experience I once had owning an old S2 Lotus 7 which had breathtaking acceleration.  Of course my recollections are from the late 60's when most cars were lucky to get to 60mph. However I have a Merc. SL500 and that doesn't feel so fast. I have joined the club and at the end of the day a kit car is a kit car and many of the problems will be of a similar nature. This is obviously a lively club and perhaps you may accept a Kit owner who does not necessarily own a RH!. (If not I fully understand and will seek pastures elsewhere). Once again thanks for the advice and responses.

You are more than welcome in the club, we accept all makes of kit cars and have many makes of kit cars. 

Is there any Lotus that can do a 4s 0-60 time?

You may well find any Caterham or Westfield that can do a sub 4s 0-60 time will also be very expensive - even the top of the range 620r only does a 3s 0-60 time and I've watched a couple of YT videos suggesting that is optimistic - they don't stop spinning their wheels long enough to get a decent time 🙂 

On AutoTrader, there is an R500 for £26k!! £40k+ for a 620r - bargain - not.

Edited by nelmo

Guest painter

Lurking! the Lotus 7 had a Cosworth 1500 with webers and race tuned. However it was not very well built as I discovered within 12 months when a rear wheel overtook me.

4 hours ago, painter said:

Lurking! the Lotus 7 had a Cosworth 1500 with webers and race tuned. However it was not very well built as I discovered within 12 months when a rear wheel overtook me.

haha, well I help with running the website, and like others who still around, still like kit cars and have made a lot of friends through the club.  Plus in part my kit car lives on in my current car as I re-used a lot of bits from it in the new one.

if you want a sub 4 sec 0-60 time I suggest tou try a winch launch of a glider with an enthusastic winch driver.

2 sec is possible with 20 sec to 1000 feet up, even better is a cat launch from a carrier but harder to arrange.

• Haha 1

Guest painter

well, I think I have found a sub 4s tinbox, hopefully will complete purchase next week but until it is verified I will of course investigate the glider launch. Sounds like a post life insurance present from the wife. I suppose the gearbox ratios must have some bearing on acceleration, as I have seen quite a lot of higher bhp's with slower 0-60. (and engine weight). 

Guest painter

Hi MarkB,

I am having the car tested next week to confirm performance but I understand the limitations as described. I think what is more pertinent from my point of view is whether or not my body would do sub 4s!. We (I) will see.

regards