Newbie 2B

Guest painter

Chris,

May I be so bold as to ask? 

How you are going to be able to drive a car in the U.K. on our roads that can get near a sub 4s! time of 0 to 60.

With all the traffic and vehicles on our roads you are luck to average 30mph at times!

Do you have your own 1/4 mile strip to play on, 

I understand that we all had that boy racer element within us.

Just now when the government lifts the stay at home lock down, best we just potter about and enjoy life in a open car along the country roads without all the traffic to get in the way at a nice leisurely speed.

Just my throughts

Martin

Guest painter

Hi there Fry 61, yes would be good to meet up once this virus has worked it's course. I am on the Lizard (next stop Atlantic). I agree the 0-60 times are somewhat incidental in the big picture of enjoying kit car driving, just keen to experience once more the exhilaration of driving an old S2 '7' in my younger years. (Nothing I have owned since comes close to that). I do however remember the miserable days driving to work in the rain with steamed up windows, and certainly remember one occasion when the rear wheel overtook me. Great fun. 

Guest painter

Hi Maca, yes we do have much clearer roads in deepest Cornwall, although have noticed the build up over the last twenty years. There are several roads in excess of 2 miles usually clear of traffic and well suited to clearing the cobwebs from the throttle, but 60 is the limit. Also the A30 is quite a good road even by modern standards and out of holiday season not too busy. I am alarmed when (on the rare occasions) I venture out of Cornwall and find the 'parking facilities' on the M5/M4 etc. My plan is simply to enjoy before I am too old to do so.

We are up by the Tamar so only just in Cornwall, the natives all seem quite friendly since our move from Hampshire last year.

Been out in our car with the local MG Car Club (before CV )  great bunch who don't mind a kit in their mist, they do not do sub 4 sec. on their rambles around the country lanes which make up a frightening lot of tar-mac down here. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest painter

well, finally the car is sitting outside, just sorting the tax and adjusting seating (and waiting for the sun to return) before I venture out, slowly at first! Looking forward to being able to use the roads once more, although we can of course drive to a place of exercise. 

05_05_2020.JPG

Guest painter

I know, pointed out by Quantum Sports cars, but thanks for pointing it out. First stop ATS. (although you would think whoever last put the wheels on the words left and right would be a clue).

46 minutes ago, painter said:

I know, pointed out by Quantum Sports cars, but thanks for pointing it out. First stop ATS. (although you would think whoever last put the wheels on the words left and right would be a clue).

I take it you spoke to Rob at Quantum and you know they are based down here in South Brent nr Plymouth

6 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Good looking kit, like the nosecone - what's under the hood?

I saw this on ebay and if memory serves me then I think its a black top Zetec with a few bells & whistles but Im sure the new owner will correct if needed

• Like 1

Guest painter

Hi there,

yes it was Rob Hancock, one of the most helpful chaps I have met in the auto industry together with his colleague Andy Carwithen of anc sportscars. The car was on e-bay and it is a black top Zetec. I haven't had a chance to go through all the paperwork (of which there is a vast amount) but I am sure it must have a few bells and whistles to achieve the performance that Rob has described. I haven't had a chance yet to drive it!!! as we have gale force winds on the Lizard (and very wet), but that won't last forever! I do need to lose weight though, and what better incentive than to be comfortable whilst enjoying the car. Fortunately the wheels/tyres just need swapping from one side to the other.

Yeah Rob is very helpful and knowledgeable, helped me out a few times with my RH and kettle is always on!!

If your ever this way its always worth popping in to see what new "project" he has on the go, just dont mention the "Sun runner"!!!

There seems to be quite a few of us coming out of the woodwork in SW, if your on Facebook look for Kit Car Blats and ask to join the SW Whatsapp Group if you haven't already.

Theres a chap called Josh Nell who lives just outside Liskeard and he is trying to get me to join him doing Autosolos at Perrenporth Airfield with the Camel vale motor club if your interested