Tax & MOT exempt???

Guest Glasgowgolfer

Guest Glasgowgolfer

Hi All

I have a Nova Kit car which was registered on the 16th of September 1980, am I correct in assuming that come the 16th she will become TAX & MOT exempt?

Cheers

Dave

P.s.not a Q registration.

Hope this may help you!

Eligibility

The date your vehicle was built or first registered affects whether you need to:

• get an MOT
  • pay vehicle tax

Vehicles that do not need an MOT

You do not need to get an MOT if:

• the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
  • no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works

If you’re not sure if there have been any substantial changes you can:

Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax

You do not need to pay vehicle tax if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1980.

If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered between 1 and 7 January 1980, you do not have to pay vehicle tax.

What you have to do

You must apply for a vehicle tax exemption to stop paying vehicle tax. This is sometimes called putting a vehicle into the ‘historic tax class’.

You do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year. However, you must still keep it in a roadworthy condition.

mine was registered in 1979 whilst it is now MOT exempt i missed out by two months on being tax exempt GRRRRR

the MOT exemption is a rolling 40 year period from the looks of your post i should have waited to tax it cos i didnt have to i think a conversation needs to take place with DVLA robbing gits 

Edited by tractor