1st time turn over

zhap135

After many years languising in my garage (the car, not me) I've finally rewired my pinto / S7. 

The fuse box and wiring have been bench tested.

The Engine has good compression, and the starter/solenoid spin freely.

The battery is new (it is a lightweight one, 12v obvs, 22Ah)

When trying to turn over engine is reluctant to turn - it does, but as if the battery is flat (I have ensure that the battery is fully charged as far as I can)

There is good lube, the pistons move freely in the cylinders. there are no alarming noises.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Measure the voltage across the battery when cranking ( a minimum of 11 volts I would suggest is O.K ) or ask a friend with jump leads to connect his battery in parallel with yours while cranking ( keep his engine running at a fast idle.

Thanks Fry will look at that. I did try using a boost starter, however that made no difference to the ability of the starter-motor to turn the engine, but perhaps a jump start is more sensible. A tleast it will indicate whether the battery may be the issue

Edited by zhap135

7 hours ago, marlin said:

If timing is way off you could be pushing against compression. Just a thought.

this is my guess, try retarding the timing a little.

Could also be corroded earth strap / starter cable/battery terminals

8 hours ago, marlin said:

If timing is way off you could be pushing against compression. Just a thought.

35 minutes ago, Grim said:

this is my guess, try retarding the timing a little.

Could also be corroded earth strap / starter cable/battery terminals

Thanks both. Would that be timing? Forgive me I'm not an engineer by trade and I'm still learning and picking things up. I thought the timing only related to whether the spark fired at the right point in the cycle - at the end of the compression stroke. The starter motor should over come the compression even if there is no spark at all, should it not? 

The earth straps seem to be fresh and I have clean contacts, and I have good voltage from the chassis and engine block to the +ive terminal

Edited by zhap135

Hi

Assuming that your Pinto ran nicely before you left it in the garage for a few years I can see no reason why your ignition timing would change just sitting in the garage.  But it's quite possible that connections get corroded so check them.  Quite possible that the copper tracks in the starter motor have corroded and bench testing will help get them cleaned up just by running the motor.

I also consider that the starter on your Pinto draws 100 + amps when staring and a 22ah battery just can't sustain that for any length of time or perhaps even deliver that at all.  Wherever your Pinto originated from it was attached to a 70ah battery.

I can say that the project I'm working on now also has a Pinto and the starter on that failed after sitting for 15 years in a garage.  Even after refurb it was useless.  A new geared starter does the job nicely on a 40ah battery.

Kevin

Edited by RevKev

Thanks Mark, this is really useful and I'll have a go tonight. I dis a really rough test and the sloenoid seems to work, and the motor spins freely, but it will be good to do a more controlled test!

1 hour ago, MarkBzero said:

Try bench testing your starter.

7 hours ago, maca said:

Try removing spark plugs and crank over it could be you have a tired starter motor that needs attention.

Hi Maca, I'm starting to suspect the SM too, so I should test it properly to eminate it from enquiries. Thanks!

Edited by zhap135

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I renewed all of the earths, cranked the engine without the plugs, boosted the battery but it was only when I fitted a new starter motor that she fired up without labouring. 

9 hours ago, zhap135 said:

Thanks both. Would that be timing? Forgive me I'm not an engineer by trade and I'm still learning and picking things up. I thought the timing only related to whether the spark fired at the right point in the cycle - at the end of the compression stroke. The starter motor should over come the compression even if there is no spark at all, should it not? 

The earth straps seem to be fresh and I have clean contacts, and I have good voltage from the chassis and engine block to the +ive terminal

The spark plug fires with the piston on the compression stroke, slightly before top dead centre. This is to account for how long the fuel mixture takes to burn, so that the cylinder pressure increases at TDC in time for the downstroke. If the mixture is ignited too early, cylinder pressure increases on the compression stroke, and the starter has to fight it.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:40 PM, Grim said:

The spark plug fires with the piston on the compression stroke, slightly before top dead centre. This is to account for how long the fuel mixture takes to burn, so that the cylinder pressure increases at TDC in time for the downstroke. If the mixture is ignited too early, cylinder pressure increases on the compression stroke, and the starter has to fight it.

Aaaah, of course 10o before TDC. That makes sense. Thanks will put this on the list