1st time turn over

zhap135

Well, I may finally have to admit defeat. 

Having used a bit of lube to free up the solenoid, which now moves much more freely, there is still little action. When a voltage is applied, current flows, but the s'noid needs assistance to move.

The unit itself looks like a sealed unit with no possibility to strip. the housing is in a cup shape at the actuator end, and seems to have been crimped at the terminal end. Not sure really where to go from here. I haven't been able to track down a separate s'noid, so it might be a new starter after all. 😡👎

For anyone who reads this that commented, everyone's input was really useful, thanks all!

1 hour ago, Kerry said:

If the bushes have worn in the starter motor, when it engages into the ring gear the rotor in the motor is forced against the field coils causing it to stall, this would not be obvious during bench testing.

Thanks Kerry, that makes sense (when you say bushes I understand that you're referring to the plain bearings holding the armature). It's not exactly a silent run when bench testing, although no alarming noises. Is this something that is realistic to repair in your opinion?

It is possible to open the crimp, small chisel & pliers BUT be sure to un-solder the coil terminal first.

A smear of silicon around the joint on re-assembly.  

New starter purchased ? Then cut the solenoid apart any-ways, may prove/disprove all above; will be interesting to know.

9 hours ago, fry61 said:

It is possible to open the crimp, small chisel & pliers BUT be sure to un-solder the coil terminal first.

A smear of silicon around the joint on re-assembly.  

New starter purchased ? Then cut the solenoid apart any-ways, may prove/disprove all above; will be interesting to know.

Yeah, 'm going to have to replace I think, I'm flogging a dead horse

The solenoid moves freely, with only the resistance of the return spring impeding the travel, and when a voltage is applied it needs my assistance to moves,so it seems that it can't overcome the return spring. I took it apart to see what I could see. See images here, here and here. On the whole the internals look fine, but the coil isn't producing the oomph to get things moving.

I've stripped it as far as I can I think. Any further investigation would need to be proper destructive  - might have a look another time. 

What's a mystery is that it seemed to work until I stripped the SM down, but I can't for the life of me see if/what I did to break it. All I can assume is that the magnetic coil itself was  on the way out(I don't know how well it was working - it might have been only just well enough to engage) and happened to give up at this time with all the testing I was doing.

The contacts are badly pitted, need filing flat with a single cut file & what else ??  You gave it a go & can't get a good result but at least you tried.

( Brain surgery by this method is not recommended.)

Of course! I saw them as clean, but you're right they're also very rough. I suppose the pitting is caused by a combination of impact and arcing, and may well have impeded the current to the starter. Only makes it more frustrating that I can't identify the fault in the s'noid, and why it seemed to manifest itself only after refitting. hohum!

But you're right, we gave it a good go, and even learned a load, so certainly not a waste of time. However, I'll definitely lay off the brain surgery for a while!

Thanks for all your interest Fry, your input has been absolutely invaluable.

Cheers

A

Brushes are carbon based but sintered with copper to give ductile properties, it also effects wear rates and commutation. you can normally get close by colour for a cheap motor like a starter tho. 

On 4/29/2020 at 11:04 PM, fry61 said:

The contacts are badly pitted, need filing flat with a single cut file & what else ??  You gave it a go & can't get a good result but at least you tried.

( Brain surgery by this method is not recommended.)

Have replaced the SM. Works a treat, so now I'm working on getting engine to fire.

Thanks for all your help mate

A