Car builders rocker switches

Dave Ed

Hi all, 

I want to improve my dash /console with some rocker switches and remove some of the stalk function at the wheel. I have a few CBS rocker switches (hazard,fog, lights and fan) but they don’t seem to sell the rear connector, only the female bullet terminals. 
I'd rather not resort to loads of individual cables laying around and would sooner have proper connectors. 
What has everyone else done to get around this issue ? 
I need to sort this before I can mot the car. 
TIA Dave 

I'd strongly suggest NOT using those CBS switches - they are pants IMO. I started using them (I've got no stalks, everything is on the dash) but they kept breaking - horrendous quality.

What you want are Carling switches: https://www.dun-bri.com/catalogue/department.aspx?node_id=b9a7bdc6-5ba5-48da-bed1-a82c00be7415&range.v-series=true

I'd recommend the V-series but there are others...there are an almost infinite choice of colours, labels and switch types (off/on, off/on/on, on/off/on etc) and it can be tricky to understand what you want BUT they are really good quality and not that expensive. There are a lot of copies on eBay which may or may not be rubbish - I would stick with the real thing.

Be aware that they sell the switch itself separately and then you buy an actuator (the actual bit you push on), so they work out at about £15-20 per unit.

Edited by nelmo

Think all Florin's switches came from CBS & yes have had one ON-OFF-ON switch fail controlling the driving lights ( 2 x 55  watt halogen) Put that failure of one make contact down to the dash gets wet if raining & condensation in frosty weather.  All the power required in Florin is via relays ( Ford from donor )  so switch overload is not the problem,as said all others O.K.

During this enforced period of kit idleness we have had corrosion problems on the column stalks, but all cleared after a few operations & again they all feed just the control relays.

Couldn't afford £15/20 /switch when building Florin --- spent all the "spare" cash on bling wheels & exhaust 

9 hours ago, fry61 said:

Think all Florin's switches came from CBS & yes have had one ON-OFF-ON switch fail controlling the driving lights ( 2 x 55  watt halogen) Put that failure of one make contact down to the dash gets wet if raining & condensation in frosty weather.  All the power required in Florin is via relays ( Ford from donor )  so switch overload is not the problem,as said all others O.K.

During this enforced period of kit idleness we have had corrosion problems on the column stalks, but all cleared after a few operations & again they all feed just the control relays.

Couldn't afford £15/20 /switch when building Florin --- spent all the "spare" cash on bling wheels & exhaust 

One of best exhaust I have seen.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob. 
I don’t suppose you have any wiring diagrams of the switches do you. 
I’ve tried wiring it up but keep blowing fuses. Im not sure where I’m going wrong. 
Dave 

Without knowing what switches are fitted I'm guessing about yours.  Florins switches were wired centre feed & the contact terminal either side was the feed out to the load ( either fan speed resistors or lamps ) 

This will not be much help as there are numerous switch configurations.  What terminals & markings are on the rear of your switches?