Fog light wiring

NickandNeil

Reading the IVA regs you now need to make sure that the fog lights cannot come back on after the ignition has been switched off.

You can get a module to do it automatically from car builder solutions but it is only suitable for one light.  We have two.

Is there a wiring mod you can do or do you have to have two modules at £35 each?

One relay & a push to make switch is all that is required to control any number/wattage of fog lights.  Connect lights & one side of relay coil to relay output live, Other side of lights & coil to earth.Feed to relay from ing. live Push to make switch is supplied from main dip/main beam supply & feeds coil live side.

When fogs required press switch, relay coil energised & remains so when switch is released because the relay is now closed; when ign or lights are switched off relay will drop out & it need the push switch to be closed before fogs can come on again.   

Can probably be test wired on the bench quicker than I type,  any old ( working ) relay will do & a push to make switch. Done for little or no money depends on your "may come in handy box."

NOT a flasher relay -- stupid boy.

This was a common miss interpretation of the manual, that came about when I was taking cars for IVA.

The ministry added note 4, and immediately it was interpreted, that you had to have auto off rear fog lights.

Auto off for rear fog lights was not required back then, and I can see nothing that makes it a requirement now.

The manual says

4. The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam or front fog lamps are lit (see alternatives in Notes 3 and 4).

Notes 3 and 4, the one that mentions auto off, are alternatives, so you can have them if you wish, but not required.

If you feel you must have it, you can achieve the effect with a couple of relays from the donor, you don't need to spend £35 on a fancy box.

7 minutes ago, fry61 said:

Not required but like auto cancel on indicators  very nice to have,  saves feeling a right muppet when continually flashed by others & you wondering what the hell is their problem.

So true, it really did ought to be a requirement, also a £1K fine & 12 month instant ban for anybody who gets caught using rear fog lights in rain or less than 10 yards visibility, I fudging hate rear fog lights