1.6 Pinto.

Leslie Walters

1.6 Pinto running a Weber 2V carb, running rough and will not tick over, tried all the obvious, cleaned carb, checked float level,HT leads etc. It appears to be grossly over fuelling but I can't seem to pinpoint why, any ideas? 

Edited by Leslie Walters

OK.  So I know you have cleaned the carbs but it is possible that the needle valve is not sealing properly when the float is at it highest point.  Fuel gets forced past the needle valve which floods the engine.  Maybe a service on the carbs rather than just a clean up job might help.

Just a thought

Kevin

What sort of fuel pump are you using?  I had a problem with an electric pump & pressure regulator set up.  The pressure regulator would adjust itself and increase the pressure to a point where it overcame the float valve, flooding the carbs.  It took me a while to find as it was usually OK when you were driving around, but played up on tick-over.

I bought this car built so the fuel set up is as the donor car would have been (Ford sierra laser) so it is running the mechanical pump which is run through a pressure regulator I believe (I am investigating that now although when I put it back together I may just run it from a separate bottle of fuel to rule it out).

Needle valve is a definite maybe, checking out a repair kit now.

Thanks for the input chaps.

I had a needle valve problem with one of my webers. Car wouldn't start and eventually once I realised only two cylinders were getting fuel I took the top off the carburetor and saw it was stuck closed. Doesn't take much just a bit of old sticky fuel. Yours could be stuck open. It took a mechanic to point me in the right direction because I hadn't checked that all four cylinders were getting fuel.  Lesson learned