Launch control ME100

MarkBzero

Playing around with the ECU a ME100 and discovered it has a launch control function. Spoken the manufacturer and it appears to be straight forward a dash switch, clutch switch and resistor to 5v reference.

Two questions;

Has anyone else got launch control on their car, does it work effectively?

Will it be OK with standard diff or do you need an LSD diff?

Never heard of it on a kit car - how does that work, what does it do with the clutch switch?

I assumed launch control would have to work in conjunction with a full traction control system, so sensors to detect wheel spin etc...

Edited by nelmo

28 minutes ago, MarkBzero said:

Playing around with the ECU a ME100 and discovered it has a launch control function. Spoken the manufacturer and it appears to be straight forward a dash switch, clutch switch and resistor to 5v reference.

Two questions;

Has anyone else got launch control on their car, does it work effectively?

Will it be OK with standard diff or do you need an LSD diff?

I had this function on a ECU. On the basis it uses no wheel speed sensors, it will be a fairly rudimentary rpm-hold type function. Arm it, clutch depressed activates an rpm-hold so you just bury the throttle and it holds rpm. Pop the clutch and it managed the amount of power released.

You can hear/see it at the start of this video

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brumster said:

had this function on a ECU. On the basis it uses no wheel speed sensors, it will be a fairly rudimentary rpm-hold type function. Arm it, clutch depressed activates an rpm-hold so you just bury the throttle and it holds rpm. Pop the clutch and it managed the amount of power released.

Yes that's correct this system has no true wheel speed, set the rpm between 3000-3200 is recommended. A clutch switch is not needed.

The guys at ME have been really supportive, going to order a few bits and try it!

This type of launch control does help if you spend time working out what the ideal launch RPM is, and obviously can adjust it for different conditions etc.  Though its main benefit is setting it up in such a way that you can build boost on the line in turbocharged cars.

You can set it up against road speed, it limits revs until you get to a set speed then lets them go, it will let the revs grow as speed grows on a linear or exponential scale. You can simply use the speed reference from the gear box or the speedo drive. It’s not as good as using an input from a none driven wheel but it works.

I’ve used it many times. I for one had to use the speed reference from the speedo because I had a 4 wheel drive so no none driven whee for reference. The need for a none driven wheel is because if you spin the wheels it would assume you had accelerated. You can also set windows for acceleration, it can for example be told your car will do 0-20mph in ‘x’ seconds and if it goes below that time to cut back. 

You quickly learn to use modulated throttle in conjunction with it in wet weather. 

• Like 1