Steering column

nelmo

My steering wheel has, over the last couple of years, moved about an inch or 2 closer to me - I now have a gap between the shroud and dashboard. I have a standard Ford collapsible column and I can't see anywhere that it's moved from; connection at the rack looks fine, same at the end of the column where it connects to the main length of the steering rod. 

Where it bolts to the chassis have also not moved (I painted the bolts) - any idea where this extension has come from and how I correct it? 

Can I ask does the steering lock still engage.  
The reason I ask is the column is telescopic as in in a crash it can move inwards (collapse) but they are near on impossible to pull outwards as there are kind of teeth that grip as you pull the column but allow the column to push. ( imagine there shaped in a V with the column sliding down the middle )

Is it not? It's what GBS supplied with my kit. It doesn't adjust for reach, just rake with that lever (which I don't use). 

Edit: looking online, mine Is a Sierra Mk2 column - the pic from the top of this post is a Mk1, if that helps? 

Edited by nelmo

Yes, it is Mk2. If you slacken the lever, can you move the column in and out at all? If the clamp wasn't tight enough I'd expect the column to drop rather than extend though. 

You've not been carrying heavy bags of shopping have you and your arms have stretched?

Edited by richyb66

Neil 

That is the same column that I have. removed from a Sierra.

The adjustment is both up and down Rake in your discription and in and out Reach

As your picture is showing 2-slots.

It should be mounted on the brackets each side of the column. 

It could be that you need to tighten the pinch bolt a little to stop it from moving towards you.

The picture is showing it in the fully out position.

Release the clamp handle on the left downwards and tighten the nut a little on the right side of the column. then reclamp and test.

Regards Martin

2 hours ago, richyb66 said:

Yes, it is Mk2. If you slacken the lever, can you move the column in and out at all? If the clamp wasn't tight enough I'd expect the column to drop rather than extend though. 

You've not been carrying heavy bags of shopping have you and your arms have stretched?

No, I can't move the column in and out at all, with the lever up or down. And yes, with the lever down, the column just moves up or down. And, no, arms still same length...belly a bit bigger though 😃

@maca, that picture was taken 5 years ago when I was just starting my build. I haven't moved or touched the column since (apart from this drift I have now, which wasn't intentional). Which pinch bolt are you referring to? I cannot see anything except that one bolt facing you in the pic and that just seems to be holding the lever on...the only other bolts are the 2 holding the whole thing to the chassis.

What tells you it is in the fully-out position?

Hi Neil, follow the adjustment lever down towards the bolt, just above the lever there is a "bracket" spotwelded to the column.

It has a slot in it that is fully extended towards the driver. Loosen the lever & push hard on the steering wheel towards the dash.

Just J-J-J-Jiggle it!

Edited by Bob Tucker

3 hours ago, nelmo said:

No, I can't move the column in and out at all, with the lever up or down. And yes, with the lever down, the column just moves up or down. And, no, arms still same length...belly a bit bigger though 😃

@maca, that picture was taken 5 years ago when I was just starting my build. I haven't moved or touched the column since (apart from this drift I have now, which wasn't intentional). Which pinch bolt are you referring to? I cannot see anything except that one bolt facing you in the pic and that just seems to be holding the lever on...the only other bolts are the 2 holding the whole thing to the chassis.

What tells you it is in the fully-out position?

Neil

The bolt that is holding the handle has a plastic rotating piece that has 4-segments that close the length of the bolt when applied upwards in an anticlockwise direction. If you can magnify your picture you should be able to make out the part I am looking at.

Are you able to push the handle down in a clockwise direction if so then it should make the column free to move in or out and up and down.

Not knowing how the Zero steering bracket is designed I am not to sure how yours operates.

(What tells you it is in the fully-out position?)  The handle bolt is at the bottom end of the slot.

Try pushing hard on the wheel and the column should move down.

My column is mounted through the holes either side of the 90 deg. angle bracket shown in your picture.

Hope that explains it a little more clearly to you.

Regards Martin

2B JUNE 18th-2 New Steering Bracket 2c.jpg

Edited by maca
Picture added

Urgh, embarrassing - you guys are absolutely right, it adjusts for reach as well. I just hadn't pushed that lever down far enough 😞

Sorry for being a doofus... I blame the quarantine... on the plus side, I can now add a new feature to my car for zero cost 🙂

• Haha 1

Neil 

We all have to find these sort of things out and it is always better to ask than be in the dark.

I have just been reading your build blog and had just got to the steering column when I got this notification that you had replied.

A very good blog only problem I have found you have to read it from the bottom up so to speak.

Regards Martin