Panel protection residue

neil's

Hi,

Its along time since I've done anything on my car it was 80% complete before I had a 5 year break. But getting stuck back into it now and nearly done. The problem Is, i  have started to final fit all body panel and started to un perk the protective protection. Its leaving a lot of residue behind and a proper ba@#$rd to get off. Has anybody got any ideas on what's best to remove this stuff and clean up the panels. It been on about 8 years. You never know I hope to get completed in the next month or so.

Any advice welcome 

Regards 

Neil

I had this exact issue and tried everything carb cleaner worked kind off. But it in the end I used some stuff called spitfire that supermarkets use to remove chewing gum. This and using your nails to scrape it off only thing that didn’t mark the finish. It took hours and hurt lol but it works. Cheers mike. 

Nick

Did you put the acetone on the  protection then leave to soak first or use the hair dryer to warm the protection up the add the acetone and peel off? 

Edited by neil's

Sorry, can't remember. It was 13/14 years ago. The worse bit was where I had stored panels in the shed and sunlight had hit them. Logic seem to say heat the covering to aid removal then use acetone to remove residue/glue.

HTH

Nick

I also used the Halfords brake cleaner, was the best thing I could find to shift it.  I sprayed it on, left it for a few seconds and then rubbed it off with a cloth.  Seemed to work better than any other methods I tried but still had to pick bits off with my nails 😂.

Think about whether you need to get every bit off. I spent ages on every panel, a lot of them were covered with carpet later on.....

Edited by danielbrookes