1st time turn over - contd

zhap135

1 hour ago, kevin the chicken said:

They will come with the overhaul kit, probably a fresh needle valve too which was the problem I had. Doesn't take much old fuel to make one stick 

Thanks kevin, got one on order!

Hi sorry assumed you using a Webber.   The ford VV was not a good carb when new.  Most people up graded to a Webber 

before you pull the carb apart there is a solenoid on the vv that needs 12v for car to run  check you have 12v going to it  - never over look the simple 👍

14 hours ago, blue said:

Hi sorry assumed you using a Webber.   The ford VV was not a good carb when new.  Most people up graded to a Webber 

before you pull the carb apart there is a solenoid on the vv that needs 12v for car to run  check you have 12v going to it  - never over look the simple 👍

That is a really good steer thanks, I'll look into that too. I had the car running many years ago, but I don't remember that bit.

Yeah at some point I mean to upgrade, but I want to get it on the road first and past its IVA. I've got a lsit of upgrades I want to do after that and when the budget will sustain

31 minutes ago, zhap135 said:

That is a really good steer thanks, I'll look into that too. I had the car running many years ago, but I don't remember that bit.

Yeah at some point I mean to upgrade, but I want to get it on the road first and past its IVA. I've got a lsit of upgrades I want to do after that and when the budget will sustain

Yep sure enough, found the socket and have attached. There is voltage across the terminal which is good. On my brief attempt to start, no joy. so next I guess is to whip the solenoid out and bench test to be certain

Will still check for fuel feed, and have the reconditioning kit on order - bit lucky there happened to be a guy on ebay had a major overhaul lit in good nick for £20

Edited by zhap135

17 hours ago, blue said:

2 hours ago, zhap135 said:

Yep sure enough, found the socket and have attached. There is voltage across the terminal which is good. On my brief attempt to start, no joy. so next I guess is to whip the solenoid out and bench test to be certain

Will still check for fuel feed, and have the reconditioning kit on order - bit lucky there happened to be a guy on ebay had a major overhaul lit in good nick for £20

So, solenoid tested, works a treat, fuel line is pumping

Fuel is a bit grubby - 

So, solenoid test, works a treat. 

Fuel pump also working beautifully, however fuel is a little grubby  It's hard to see here, but there seems to be a certain amount split out fluid, which I presume is water. I was going to look at the fuel anyway, but i think I really need to pump it out and refresh perhaps?

Looks like I need to wait for my refurb kit and have a look at the ancillary wiring for the time being

22 hours ago, Bob Tucker said:

Just re-read earlier posts....

Hi Blue, yes, the engine fires after spraying with holts,  but peters out after a few revs.

That sounds more & more like water in the carb

Hi Bob, thanks

I have the top cover off now, and am looking to empty the carb. There is fuel there - it doesn't appear t be floating on water but am going to clear it anyway.

The jets and feed tubes seem to be clear, can blow through them no probs

Although the solenoid is operating the tip is blackened - I don't know whether this is normal or indicates crud in this area

1 hour ago, zhap135 said:

Hi Bob, thanks

I have the top cover off now, and am looking to empty the carb. There is fuel there - it doesn't appear t be floating on water but am going to clear it anyway.

The jets and feed tubes seem to be clear, can blow through them no probs

Although the solenoid is operating the tip is blackened - I don't know whether this is normal or indicates crud in this area

As an update have emptied out the carb and cleaned it - there was a bit of crud in the bottom which has been removed. Still no start. I don't believe that fuel is finding its way from the float chamber to the jet. A second inspection of the anti dieselling solenoid shows it to be bone dry, so I think it's not getting that far.

Edited by zhap135