Another Wiper Question

geordie40

Hi

Not that i use car much in the rain but just noticed that my wipers are completely perished, I think they are the original ones from build some 15 yrs ago.

The car is a super spec and according to Alan & Andy its probably a sierra wiper unit but the blades are ???

They arms look to have been modified!! and the blades are 8" and seem to screw to the arms.

I saw a post from some years back Alan and you were changing yours but you never said in the post.

If I have to change arms I will but it seems an unnecessary cost.

So what blade do I order, I think I can fit 9" ones on current arms. 

IMG_20200509_150808.jpg

IMG_20200509_150823.jpg

IMG_20200509_150830.jpg

I was also unable to find a set of blades with that fitment to the arm.  I eventually managed to find a set I could attach with the 2 screws but I had to grind off the side bars as they were too narrow to fit over the spade.   So I think you will have to do some surgery whatever you get.   I actually managed to fit 10" ones as well, not a lot of clearance but a much better sweep than the previous 7" ones.

My car came to me without any wipers so I fitted mine from scratch. Bought stainless arms and matching 9 inch blades from Car Builder Solutions. The arms have a 5.8mm strip at the end which the blades slide and lock onto.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/stainless-steel-sprung-windscreen-wiper-blade-9

Yeah, that's what I don't get when people say they don't go out in the rain. In this country, it can be sunny and then rain 10 minutes later, a few miles down the road. Also, do you cancel a long-planned day out because it rains on the day? What if its just drizzly and looks like it might stop? 

Windscreen, roof (Surrey top), doors - get them all and you're covered (literally) , no matter what. 🙂

Also, much easier to practice drifting round roundabouts when the roads are wet 😁

Edited by nelmo

All above makes our kits so much more use-able & safer.  I don't wish to be followed by a wiper-less car when it's raining, how the hell does the driver cope -- there is a limit to how much screen the passenger can clean; unless sat on the bonnet.  

( Interesting excuse when stopped by lilly law --- " no problem, officer; she's just keeping the screen clear " )

Replaced mine with 9" blades locking into "standard U bend wiper ends".  Had to make these myself from a strip of steel.  You could always hacksaw U bends off an old car (but not your neighbour's brand new shiny car...).

-steve

4 hours ago, bullfist said:

Replaced mine with 9" blades locking into "standard U bend wiper ends".  Had to make these myself from a strip of steel.  You could always hacksaw U bends off an old car (but not your neighbour's brand new shiny car...).

-steve

That's another idea (Plan D!!)

I’ve just finally fettled my wipers today which were held on to the arms with 2 little screws. I’ve heated and bent the arms to fit nicely to the screen and went to change the wiper rubber as mine were old but actually discovered that when getting a 18” universal wiper of the shelf in the garage I could cut this in half to create to 9” blades and the Blade arm was slotted which actually lined up to the screw Holes in the main arm perfectly. Can take a photo tomorrow if needed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, magh said:

I’ve just finally fettled my wipers today which were held on to the arms with 2 little screws. I’ve heated and bent the arms to fit nicely to the screen and went to change the wiper rubber as mine were old but actually discovered that when getting a 18” universal wiper of the shelf in the garage I could cut this in half to create to 9” blades and the Blade arm was slotted which actually lined up to the screw Holes in the main arm perfectly. Can take a photo tomorrow if needed. 

Yes plz