Another Wiper Question

geordie40

7 hours ago, deano266 said:

im pretty sure my wiper angle is 105 but i wouldnt do what i did and have the wipers sat in front of the driver. I would have them finish the wiper angle on the drivers side so that ou have maximum visibility

I've bought a 2ndhand mgb setup so will see if I need to change gearing

• 1 month later...

I don’t see how it would work without the bundy tubing. The tube provides the resistance and fixed distance to the wheel boxes for the motor to push and pull the cable through. Without it the motor would just straighten the arc of the cable and not move the wheel boxes. 

I have to admit I found it tricky to fit the bundy tubes. The lengths have to be correct and the ends of each section have to be flared to hold into the nut on the motor gearbox, and into the clamps on the wheel boxes. Curves have to be gentle and it’s easier if you bend the tube with the inner cable in place. And use lots of grease in the tube when you assemble it to reduce friction.

Hi Graeme, yes I fitted the Lucas wiper system a couple of years ago. Here's a photo of my setup taken from the passenger footwell. I mounted the motor on the inside of the firewall, and at an angle so that the bundy tube was lined up as much as possible with the wheel boxes.

IMG_2675.thumb.JPG.ffc22affca1d2cb54a054e4b900412f4.JPG 

10 hours ago, AndyW said:

I don’t see how it would work without the bundy tubing. The tube provides the resistance and fixed distance to the wheel boxes for the motor to push and pull the cable through. Without it the motor would just straighten the arc of the cable and not move the wheel boxes.

🙂 that's what I did first time - I kept bending the tube too much so the cable wouldn't move through it. Thinking the tube was just for protection, I left it off and then couldn't work out why my wipers didn't move 🙂

Technique for bending is to put the tube in a loose vice and do a tiny bend every few mm.