Another Wiper Question

geordie40

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 12:11 PM, deano266 said:

i swapped out the sierra unit for a lucas mini wiper unit. best decision ever

Hi Dean

What degree sweep did you use , my driver side snapped completely today on run out, luckily only had a small shower so managed ok.

Where did you get it as CBS seem a little expensive

42 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Really?! CBS have pretty much always been the cheapest for stuff (and it's sometimes crap because of it 😃)

Actually looking into it a bit more the prices I found elsewhere didn't include the wheel boxes but there's a couple of 2nd hand complete units on eBay for 1/2 price.

Bit reluctant to spend to much as car doesn't really go out in rain so only need for emergency and MOT. 

But it's added to the list as well as the split fuel filler hose I found when filling up this morning, £10 in car £10 on the forecourt ☹️

16 minutes ago, richyb66 said:

It's the same Lucas type as the mini. The only issue might be the swept angle, according to the part number on the Ebay item, that one is 115 degrees.

What should the sweep angle are people using? , i would have thought 90 deg isnt enough, 

On 6/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, nelmo said:

Really?! CBS have pretty much always been the cheapest for stuff (and it's sometimes crap because of it 😃)

CBS is hideously expensive for most parts!  I ordered a few wiper bits this week and the CBS price was over £100, I paid £70 by shopping around and buying exactly the same bits from elsewhere.

Edited by theduck

The Lucas 14W wiper motor was used on many British cars, so just find the cheapest you can. Parts are easy to get, and you can swap the gear wheel to change the sweep angle, or invert the wiper arm wheel boxes to change the handing.

I fitted one on my Superspec. Can’t get out to measure it atm but I think my sweep angle is either 105 or 115 deg which is fine. But the gear wheel can be changed if you don’t like the sweep. 

1 hour ago, AndyW said:

The Lucas 14W wiper motor was used on many British cars, so just find the cheapest you can. Parts are easy to get, and you can swap the gear wheel to change the sweep angle, or invert the wiper arm wheel boxes to change the handing.

I fitted one on my Superspec. Can’t get out to measure it atm but I think my sweep angle is either 105 or 115 deg which is fine. But the gear wheel can be changed if you don’t like the sweep. 

Yeah I've noticed the same motor on s few wipers, I was thinking that 115 degrees would be ok and as you say Andy I can swap gears out anyway

Looks like I can get a used MG Midget or BGT setup for about £50 so you think it should work. Can't find out any info on the different numbers stamped on the motors, I assume they correspond to degrees of sweep and 1 or 2 speed 

I’m pretty sure all Lucas 14W motors are interchangeable. The variations for manufacturers were 1 or 2 speed, sweep angle and length of tube and cable. Best to get a 2speed if you can. I don’t think you can tell the sweep angle from the outside as it’s marked on the gear under the cover  

SVC has lots of parts and some useful info at

https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/wiper-systems/

• Like 1