Charge warning light won't go out

kevin the chicken

This is not on a kit but a tractor which I am using to dig a pond and swimming pool amongst other things but I guess the same answer would apply. When started the warning light glows brightly diminishing as the revs increase but never going out completely although I haven't tried it flat out at 2200rpm as I am not good enough to operate it at that speed! Is this likely to be down to the alternator, specifically the brushes or something else? It is a late seventies tractor so some parts are going to be tired

The battery is brand new. The old one wouldn't hold a charge so I presume continual flattening had killed it. With the corona virus restrictions that are in place here at the moment it might be difficult to find a place to get it tested even if they were open so I may just buy a new one and hope for the best. They are available for about 60 or 70 pounds, money which I would rather not spend but I don't want to go trolling around east anglia with all the associated risks to find that it is dead anyway. 

sounds like money well spent, especially to stay healthy!  Can you return it if it turns out not to be the issue? Here in the states they usually do not accept returns on electrical parts.  I guess you can always sell one on the aftermarket.

Good Luck.  Keep us updated on results.

Check battery voltage with multimeter with engine off

Start engine

Check voltage with engine running should be over 13.5V if not the alternator is f f f f f broken

As it's an old diesel tractor it doesn't need the alternator apart from starting, so as long as you put it on charge after you've finished without it it won't hurt the engine, the only fly in the ointment is if the alternator is putting out AC voltage & that's what you're pumping into your battery it won't do it any good.

Edited by phaeton

Had a look at the alternator this morning and it is not the correct one for the tractor although  the output is more or less correct.  So a new one has been ordered so at least I am working with the right parts. This seems to be a common problem with old vehicles and I have learned not to swap like for like without checking original part numbers.

New alternator and some adjustment to one of the wires cured the problem. The connection on the end had been changed so that it didn't fit in the plug properly and therefore wasn't even touching the tab on the alternator. Maybe fixing this first would have cured the problem but I am happier now it has the correct unit on, belt tension adjustment is much better as the old one protruded too far out. Makes it easier to get the engine side panel back on. Onwards to the next problem now.

• Like 2