Weight watchers

Davo

Ok, had the car a while now and always thinking of ways to get a bit more power, hp, bjo, torque, whatever works. 

whilst dropping the fuel tank, i had to take the spare wheel off, and it occurred to me that it weighed quite a lot. Losing that amount of weight could potentially increase the power considerably. What if... to keep the looks I knocked up a polystyrene wheel to fit in the cover. 

but... do I actually need that extra weight hanging off the back to balance the car out? Without it will I end up in a bush? With it will I end up In a bush? Maybe! 

any thoughts? 

Well, losing the weight would definitely help but I doubt it would be very noticeable, in terms of power improvement or handling.

In 30 years of driving, I've only ever had 1 puncture, so I would never bother with a spare (I have a can of foam stuff in the boot) but I quite the look of the spare on the back and I imagine it might help if someone drives into the back of you. 

Same. Squirt stuff is my alternate solution for a puncture. I’ll give it some consideration to changing the steel wheel for something wheel shape. 

cheers