Change of engine size

Hi chaps I thought I’d ask some thoughts from someone that’s done it is it still as easy as change engine number and cc size on log book to go up from say a 1600 to 2ltr or is it now one of them DVLA ba11aches where I’m Now gonna need an engineer report etc. 

Name of Garage

Address Line 1

Address LIne 2

Postcode

To Whom It May Concern,

As per your request to Mr XXXX to provide independent verification of the engine fitted in the vehicle with registration ABC1234D. 

VIN No: All18digits

Current Engine number: As fitted now in the car 

From the website http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/content--name-MG-Rover-MGF-MGTF-Vehicle-Information (Ideal if you can point them to a page)

I and Garage name can confirm the engine capacity is XXXXcc.

Regards,

Mechanic Name,

Garage Name. 

That's all I sent along with the completed section of the V5C

May I ask do DVLA need to know of increased cc of engine? 

As long as you change engine number and let your insurance know that it is now 2000cc whether it is 1600cc or 2000cc it is the same road tax to pay!

May save an engineers report.

Just bending the truth a little!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phaeton said:

Is it worth it if yo get pulled by a jobsworth VOSA bod, also if you ever come to sell it

How is jobsworth MR VOSA bod able to tell what cc it is?  He would be looking if the engine number matchers.

Don't think any buyer is going to quibble if it has a few more cc's. 

The cc thing is all about road tax.

if you got to bigger engine above a certain cc it would increase your road tax.

the engine number is a deal if your pulled over by plod

we have used car clubs for valuations can’t see an issue with trying that route

13 hours ago, maca said:

How is jobsworth MR VOSA bod able to tell what cc it is?  He would be looking if the engine number matchers.

Don't think any buyer is going to quibble if it has a few more cc's. 

Some do actually know what an engine looks like, unlike the pencil pushers

Would you buy an incorrectly registered vehicle? Especially an incorrectly registered kit car?

But we all view these types of things differently, I no doubt would take a risk with something else, but I like all my numbers to match with my cars

My log book doesn't even have an engine number on it - just says 'UNKNOWN'. When I was filling in my paperwork, I couldn't find any engine number on my Zetec (it was a crated engine, did Ford leave engine numbers off until they put them in a car?), so I left the field blank and the DVLA never complained.

Was really hard to find on my crate zetec too. It had disappeared in surface rust and GBS helped ID where it was so I could clean it up and see it off. Had to re-clean it up on IVA day as the inspector wanted to check it too

I suppose it could be a “ mistake “ on the DVLAs part if engine and chassis numbers Match with log book but log book states 1600cc instead of 2000cc but the correct engine/number is in the car