GBS loom - lighting circuit diagram

nelmo

Does anyone have a rough idea of the lighting circuit on the standard GBS loom? 

I've added a high-level brake light in series to the n/s rear brake light and now, with the engine on, my left indicator comes on (not flashing) when I press the brake pedal! 😊

The fact it's not flashing means I've somehow missed the relay I guess but I have no idea why this is happening. Isn't a problem with the ignition on ACC, only when engine is started, which I guess is significant but I'm not good enough to get further without a circuit diagram. 

Neil, 

It sounds to me that the new high level brake light is finding it's earth through the L/H indicator.

Check that your earth to the light is good, I have seen it so many times on vehicles where there is an earth fault.

I assume the indicator did't come on before when you pressed the brake pedal?

Yeah, it was fine before...and your suggestion sounds right.

I worked out the required pins just by using a voltmeter on the plug from the loom, to see what made a circuit when the pedal was pressed. I'll check that again - worse case, I can just rivet the earth from the new light to the body panel?

When I did mine I learned that the brake lights should be wired in parallel not series. 

Two lamps in series will be dimmer than in two in parallel.

If one lamp in the series failed then the second series lamp would have no power whereas in parallel if one failed the other still has power.

Take a live and earth from the back of one light ( or where convenient) and connect to the third brake light.

This way no other circuit is disturbed or changed.

3 hours ago, ozz said:

Take a live and earth from the back of one light ( or where convenient) and connect to the third brake light.

This way no other circuit is disturbed or changed.

That's what I thought I'd done... and, in fact, I've now realised that it is in parallel, not series. I was thinking of changing to series but good point about one failing (although they are all LEDs, so less likely to be an issue). 

I'm going to try a new earth and see how that goes... 

12 hours ago, maca said:

How will the wet weather roof fit with the light in place, Just asking?

Can it be seen?

I've got a surrey top from SoftBits and they very cleverly put a clear section in just for this:

roof.thumb.jpg.c4bba7f6515c7806c8485c6d92f0eecf.jpg

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, knights_templar said:

At block connector under the wing.

green violet to + of high level

Black to - of high level

Ah - that would be great, if I could get to that plug easily. It's tucked down the side of the tank and rear panel and I only just managed to get my hands in to unplug it when I fitted the extra section. But I have got an endoscope, so might try that...thanks 🙏