Sva And Vro Documentation

Guest neil gale

Guest neil gale

Just finishing my 2B, collected in August last year.

Phoned up SVA people, they say i can make up a chassis number as long as its the correct length - 8 to 17 characters.

Have test date for 20th May

I just started wondering about the VRO and V5 form?? I have the original V5 with the engine number and old sierra chassis, but the SVA is based on the new chassis for which i had a new plate made up.

Is this correct??? Do i need to get a VRO man out to declare / assign me a new chassis number???

Any info would be great!

Cheers

Guest Ant

Depends who you speak to at the VRO, and which VRO you're at. I made mine up and declared it on the SVA application form - 17 digits and I have every reason to believe that it is unique. It begins RH2B, then the 4 digits of my RHE invoice, and then 9 digits which are part of my name and the date, etc. The VRO have accepted my number - I know this because when I rang them to see how fan my SVA form had got they found my details by searching for this chassis number on their system. I am not SVA'd and hence not actually registered so I guess they may complian later. I believe others have done the same as me and succeeded, but then again others have done the same and ended up being allocated a number by the VRO which they've then had to add to their chassis, along side the one they made up presumably.

Ant

Guest neil gale

Cheers, thats made me a bit more confident!

Hopefully i will be ok with the chassis number i made up, funnily enough mine begins RHE2B and then combination of name and date - its amazing what you can fit into 17 digits.

All will no doubt be revealed on 20th may!!!!! :unsure:

Guest Ant

Is the 20th your SVA date? Where are you taking it to?

Mine is on 23rd at Derby. Between now and then I've got to wire in my dashboard, finish the interior trimming, put a cover on the boot area, fit the screen, make some demister fittings for under the dash, and get it MOT'd! Blimey I'm busy ;-) I've got a week off to work solidly on it with. Oh and I've yet to make my seats ... hmmm ... maybe the windscreen will wait after all.

I made mine up, RH2B for the first bit then the invoice number, then the date of collection and finally my birth date, 17 digits in total. The guy from my VRO did ask where my documentation from RH was for the chassis number, I just said I didn't have that bit of paper with me, so he just carried on with out it.

I know some people have printed their chassis number on the invoice, this may be a good idea.

Les

Guest Angel Boy
<snip>put a cover on the boot area<snip>

Ant,

Why do you have to put a cover on the boot area? I went through my SVA with no boot lid. I had put two "covers" on the corners, but no cover as such. Nothing was said about it. Might be oneless job to in an already stressfull period before the SVA.

Just a thought.

Andy

Guest neil gale

Ant,

My SVA is in newcastle on the 20th.

Shes ready to roll now, so im just going to tidy a few other non essential items before the test.

Im leaving the windscreen off, got a cheapie crash helmet to get me there and back. I dont want a heater so i saw no point trying to mess about with demisters just for the test. Wipers and washers should be fairly straight forward, and then just the hood to fit.

Best of luck for the 23rd!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neil gale

Now now, no need to be cheeky!!!! ;)

I was a busy boy last nite and didnt get time to give you the lowdown!

She failed, pretty much as expected.

8 minor points:

Wiring not sufficiently enclosed or secured (in a few places)

Rear Fog Lamp too low and not radiused

Holes in bonnet for wipers too sharp (ie fit a grommit)

Bonnet catches too sharp - need a plastic snap on cover

One cycle wing catches on side panel on full lock

Documentary proof of design weights

Documentary proof of Seat Belt anchorages?? (this will no doubt be the hardest)

More permanent fixing over steering track arms

All in all, i was very pleased.

She made the 50 mile round trip no problem, and only some minor modifications to do for the retest. :)

post-12-1053500957.jpg

Guest SteveL
Documentary proof of Seat Belt anchorages?? (this will no doubt be the hardest)

Hi Neil

This is an interesting one, and onme I'm definitely interested in (as I should be SVAing soon). There have been several people who have failed on this. People have rewelded the tubes in the middle of the square section of the chassis, but this seems like an awful lot of work, removing carpet, boot-lid, etc.

Richard produced a letter (which I got from Daz) which Daz then used and subsequently passed with no changes to the seatbelt mountings. The letter quoted an EU directive and also pointed out that the seatbelts in the Ford Sierra were only held in by a single 6mm pop rivet.

I've got a copy of the letter if you need it.

Steve

I'm not wure whether to say "well done" or simply express my jealousy .... oh ok, well done mate. ;-)

If I get a list as short as that it'll be a miracle!

On the cycle wing catching thingie, have you shortened the rack travel at all by fitting some sort of spacer behind the knuckle under the sleeve?

Seat belt anchorages - presumably they want certification of the welds to the bar at the back, right? If so then who was the bloke on here who posted a letter from RHE about them? I have a feeling it was Daz Johnson, but I could be wrong. Daz, are you out there?

On the rear fog lamps, will mounting them on the panel be sufficient? Where was the non-radiused edge?

Anyhow like I say if I get a list as short as that I'll be well chuffed so congratulations!!!!

Ant

PS - look out for my disertation of fail points late Friday night ;-)

Guest neil gale

Steve and Ant,

The sva guy was happy with the roll bar rear seatbelt mounts, and the outside mount on the chassis, provided a letter came from robin hood to verify the location. (i should have explained in more detail)

It is the inside mount (on the tunnel) and the two extra mounts i have used (6 point harnesses so the front crutch straps bolt through the floor with the seat bolts) that he was not happy with.

It is the inability to see what / where they are attached as the seat is above the crutch straps and the tunnel mount has a plate behind it which acan only be seen looking down the tunnel from the diff (quite tri cky).

I somehow need to prove the location and fixing of these seatbelt mounts, and just provide proof from RH that the other mounts are as specified in the kit build.

Steve, i would be grateful if you could forward this letter to me

Ant, cheers - i was chuffed to get such a short list too!!! Hope you do!

I think i just need to centre the rack more, it is clear one side and catches at the other so i think there is enough clearance both sides if i equal it out. If not i will have to resort to spacers or something like that.

Fog lights - im gonna reverse the bracket and mount the lamp upwards - it needs to be 250mm from floor and was 200mm, so should be fine if reversed. It is the black casing that has a sharp(ish) edge, so just needs filing. 10 minute job max.

Neil.

Guest SteveL
It is the inside mount (on the tunnel) and the two extra mounts i have used (6 point harnesses so the front crutch straps bolt through the floor with the seat bolts) that he was not happy with.

It is the inability to see what / where they are attached as the seat is above the crutch straps and the tunnel mount has a plate behind it which acan only be seen looking down the tunnel from the diff (quite tric ky).

I somehow need to prove the location and fixing of these seatbelt mounts, and just provide proof from RH that the other mounts are as specified in the kit build.

Steve, I would be grateful if you could forward this letter to me

The letter only talks about the top chassis mounts, not the outside mounts, so I don't think it'll do you much good in this case. It seems strange that he wants to see evidence of something that has been passed by other examiners. I wonder what sort of evidence he wants? Maybe some photo's of when you were building might help? I know on mine (with 4 point harnesses), there's no way to look at either of the bottom mounts, unless I remove the seat, the tunnel side panel, and the outer side panel. Can the SVA ask you to do this? :(

Steve

Guest john

Hi Steve, Ant. and well done Neil.

I spoke yesterday with the test station ( Yeading ) asking for info on what they wanted to see on test day.

Amongst other stuff like the donor V5, he said ''technical drawings of the seat belt mountings'' I offered photos as proof but he said ''only if they are from the kit supplier''

I've done nothing about this yet, but it sounds like they want some proof of the inaccessible mountings.

Ant, Good luck on your test day.

Steve, If you can get over sometime, I can show you all the paperwork and forms for SVA / VRO.

Do you think I could have a copy of the letter about the top mounting points, please Steve?, ready for test day.

Cheerz.