Pinto with 32/34 weber jets?

Guest blooka

Guest blooka

Hi
I have just bought  a tiger kit car with a standard 2.0 pinto engine fitted.
Im having a few problems with misfires and odd backfiring under acceleration.
I have checked usual things float height, timing, plugs, ht leads etc. with no luck.
It has a 32/34 dtml carb fitted I was just wondering if it is jetted correctly.
I am going to upgrade at sometime to a better carb but for now just wanted to use this if its ok.
the jets in it are

primary idle 55
secondary idle 60

primary main
air 165
emulsion f30
main 125

secondary main
air170
emulsion f22
main 117

does this seem ok for this engine tried trolling the net but i cant find anything
hope someone could help me just want to cancel this out befors delving deeper lol
many thanks
Dave

Looks like they were fitted with a 30/34 DFTH carb with similar size jetting, the mains may have been swapped, the primary is usually smaller than the secondary. Are you sure the secondary choke is opening with the vacuum system? 

Info I have is idle jets 45 both   mains  112/135    air correction 165/150  emulsion tube F22 both

Guest blooka

Hi Peter

how do i  test if the secondary choke is opening?

Also just to make sure i have identified the correct jets am i right in saying the secodary idle and then the main are nearest the throttle shaft?

I havent had the car that long and never had it on the road until last week, so not sure if it drove ok for previous owner .I wonder if he put the main jets wrong way around

Any idea wher i can find info for putting this back to standard jetting for 

cheers

Dave

I don't know about these carbs is it like this?  With the mechanically operated carbs, Dgav Dgas, its simple to look down the top and when you open the throttle you can watch the butterflies opening. With this style the secondary choke is opened by the vacuum diaphragm system, this will only work when the engine is under load so you can't simply have the engine running while stationary.  I had a car (Estelle!) many years ago with a similar carb which would stick shut every now and then, the simple cure was just to manually operate the mechanism a couple of times, so you could try that. Is the choke working ok? look down into the carb when the engine is warm has the choke butterfly fully opened. Don't get too hung up on the jet sizes yet, do you know what is the ignition system fitted? What state are the plugs in after you have been for a run, are they clean, sooty?

This one illustrated also has a stepper motor connected to the ESCii module for the idle speed. 

weber 2va.jpg

Hello

I believe the DTML is a straight replacement of the DFTH and gets rid of the problematic stepper motor.  I guess it should have the same layout as the one in the Haynes manual in the previous post.