2.8 v6 seems unusual

Guest Plymouth Brian

Guest Plymouth Brian

I have seen a nice looking completed B2 for sale. I have been looking for a while and this car seems nicely finished. It is fitted with a 2.8 v6 power unit and this appears to be a bit rare, is this because it has an adverse effect on the car overall, obviously it will be heavier and may upset the balance somewhat. I am seeking assistance from you experienced owners as to the pro's and con's. Thank you all for taking time to read this, take care, regards,Brian

Assuming it was originally built with the V6 it would be rare because if you were using a Sierra as a donor, you'd be more likely to use a 4 cylinder one as there would have been more of them around in the first place. 

It is heavier which would have some effect on the handling but I'd live with that to have a torquier engine and a better sound. 

If you wanted to do more tuning, it's a bit limited unless you've got very deep pockets but even a standard 2.8 on a single carb should be 140bhp.

A pinto weighs around 117kg  the cologne v6 weighs about 130kg. So really no difference but the tuning beyond head work becomes expensive but the standard torque will make you smile every time you turn the key. 😀

Guest Plymouth Brian

Thanks so very much to richy, blue and the duck, your comments make perfect sense and prove that I was right to consult the experts. I had made my mind up to go for it, only to find that while I dithered someone else had bought it!! Nevermind I will start looking again, thanks once more for taking the time to answer my question.

• 2 weeks later...