Shorter alternator?

Guest Keith Clipsham

Guest Keith Clipsham

I've recently refurbished a 2003 Hoodie. I've got it driving well but my Bosch alternator probably from the Sierra donor is too close on no. 1 exhaust pipe.  It's a Burton BV head and a competition exhaust, but should I brake a fan belt I couldn't get a new on as the alternator is almost leaning on the pipe. I'd have to remove the unit to get the belt on. Anyone know of a shorter alternator, preferably with the same size pully and bolt fixing points. I know I'd have to make a spacer or new mounting for the back end. 

Eng bay 1 (2).JPG

DSC00050.JPG

I managed to move std alt down with some 6 or 8mm plate, i used the original bracket bolt holes to mount plate and drilled for standard alt bracket further down.  I also had to add a new adjuster fixing point off the plate. Alternater does get closer to steering rack but mine never touches it.

Edited by Jez Morton

Guest Keith Clipsham
15 hours ago, magh said:

I use a small denso unit on mine they are pretty much one of the smallest you can get and very popular with Kitcars. 

Cheers Jez